About This Chapter
MTLE Reading Teacher: Reading Assessment Techniques - Chapter Summary
Don't let the process of studying for the MTLE Reading Teacher assessment make you feel overwhelmed. Instead, review these lessons that cover reading assessment techniques you may be asked about on the test. After completing the lessons in this chapter, you will review the following:
- Assessment techniques for phonemic awareness and vocabulary assessment
- Techniques for assessing student fluency, reading comprehension, and research and study skills
- Analyzing multiple intelligences
- Bloom's taxonomy and performance assessments
- Instructional strategies for phonological awareness
- Characteristics of speech sound errors
- Methods for determining reading levels
- Applying the cloze procedure to reading passages
The MTLE Reading Teacher assessment asks questions designed to gauge your comprehension of reading assessment techniques. The quality instructors in this chapter ensure you're able to competently answer these questions by presenting lessons in a comprehensive yet entertaining fashion. You can revisit the lessons as often as needed to ensure you fully comprehend the materials.
1. Assessment Techniques for Phonemic Awareness
In this lesson, we will learn about some assessment tools for monitoring the development of phonemic awareness in Kindergarten through the second grade.
2. Phonics Assessment: Tools & Techniques
In this lesson, we will examine the components of phonics skills development and look at techniques to effectively monitor student progress in this area.
3. Effective Techniques for Vocabulary Assessment
In this lesson, we will examine various types of vocabulary assessments and discuss how teachers select words to be taught and assessed based on intended outcomes.
4. Techniques for Assessing Student Fluency
Fluency is an important component of reading, and to teach it properly, we need to know how to assess it. This lesson gives you strategies for assessing the components of fluency.
5. Assessment Techniques for Reading Comprehension
Need to assess your students' reading ability? Not quite sure where to begin? This lesson describes several techniques reading teachers can use to assess students' reading comprehension.
6. How to Assess Student Research & Study Skills
Today's teachers are tasked with ensuring that students know how to study and conduct research. This lesson will provide you with some ideas about how to assess your students' ability to ask questions, evaluate resources, and take good notes.
7. Multiple Intelligences: Assessment Tips & Theory
Intelligence is often thought to be synonymous with being smart or a high achiever, but modern education models look at intelligence in a new, different way. This lesson covers multiple intelligences theory and offers some relevant assessment tips.
8. Bloom's Taxonomy and Assessments
Bloom's Taxonomy is a popular and extremely helpful tool that is used by most teachers. In this lesson, we'll discuss the original and revised Bloom's Taxonomy as well as how to use it in the classroom to assess learning and cognitive ability.
9. Performance Assessments: Product vs. Process
Playing a musical instrument, creating a spreadsheet and performing in a play are all activities that many of us engage in on a regular basis. These activities are also examples of ways teachers assess a student's mastery of a subject in educational settings. This lesson will define performance-based assessments and discuss the various uses of performance assessments in the classroom.
10. Instructional Strategies for Phonological Awareness
Phonological awareness is an important skill to learn young. This lesson will define this skill and show how to apply instructional strategies. We'll also highlight a few assessment techniques for phonological awareness skills.
11. Characteristics of Speech Sound Errors: Speech & Communication Disorders
In this lesson, we explore speech sound disorders, which include articulation deficits, phonological process disorder and fluency disorder. Also learn the characteristics of each of these disorders.
12. Methods for Determining Students' Reading Level
Assessment is essential. All students are at different reading levels and abilities. Watch this video lesson to learn ways to assess the reading level of your students.
13. Using Cloze for Assessment
The cloze procedure is a useful tool for reading assessment. This lesson will detail several ways you can use the procedure to assess your students' reading comprehension and grammar skills.
14. Applying the Cloze Procedure to Reading Passages
Many strategies exist to help children master reading, among them is the cloze method. This strategy of deleting words from within a passage is seemingly straightforward and simple. This lesson will explore how to best use this strategy in the classroom in order to enhance reading instruction.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Reading Teacher: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Learning Theories
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Language & Reading Development
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Planning Reading Instruction
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Resources for Reading Instruction
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Principles of Reading Assessment
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Using Reading Assessment Data
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Promoting a Literate Environment
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Promoting Literacy Through Technology
- MTLE Reading Teacher: The Reading Professional
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Professional Organizations
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Emergent Literacy
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Spelling & Writing
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Phonics
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Developing Student Fluency
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Developing Student Vocabulary
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Language Arts Instruction
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Narrative Texts
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Expository Texts
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Oral Communication
- MTLE Reading Teacher Flashcards