About This Chapter
MTLE Reading Teacher: Resources for Reading Instruction - Chapter Summary
All of the lessons in this chapter are designed to simplify your studies for the MTLE Reaching Teacher assessment in Minnesota. You can get reacquainted with resources for reading instruction that can help inform your classroom teaching techniques, while ensuring you're prepared for the following on the test:
- Analyzing literary forms and genres, and describing how they affect meaning
- Defining multicultural literature and multicultural education
- Identifying strategies for culturally relevant teaching
- Describing strategies for assessing reading materials
- Listing methods for action research in education
- Discussing how to use student journals effectively in the classroom
- Sharing the definition and types of graphic organizers
Benefit from a wide variety of chapter resources designed to improve your ability to succeed on the MTLE assessment. Make sure you understand all the resources for reading instruction you'll see on exam day by watching the fun video lessons, studying the text lessons or accessing the full lesson transcripts. When you're ready to test your comprehension of the lessons, take self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam.
1. Literary Forms & Genres: How They Affect Meaning
In this lesson, we will explore literary forms and genres. We'll define these terms, look at examples of each, and see how they affect the meaning of the texts they characterize.
2. Multicultural Literature: Definition, Books & Importance
Multicultural literature features characters and themes from countries around the world. Writers in this genre express their ideas and values through the characters featured in their work. By examining these works in detail, you can learn how to understand them and broaden your understanding.
3. Culturally Relevant Teaching: Strategies & Definition
This lesson will define culturally relevant teaching and illustrate how this approach to instruction can boost student engagement, increase students' feeling of belonging within their school, and positively impact student achievement.
4. Multicultural Education: Definition & Approaches
Find out what multicultural education is, and the different approaches to the multicultural classroom. Read the lesson, and then take quiz to test your new knowledge.
5. Strategies for Assessing Reading Materials
One of the most important aspects of being an English language arts teacher is choosing suitable reading materials for your students. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies for choosing the most appropriate materials.
6. Action Research in Education: Methods & Examples
Action research is often used in the field of education. The following lesson provides two examples of action research in the field of education, methods of conducting action research and a quiz to assess your understanding of the topic.
7. Using Student Journals Effectively in the Classroom
This lesson demonstrates best practices for journaling in the middle-school and high-school classroom. In addition, it offers ideas for the teacher who is struggling with his/her journaling ideas.
8. Graphic Organizer: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, delve into the world of graphic organizers and gain an understanding of the definition and varieties. You'll also view examples of how they can be applied to foster a myriad of educational objectives.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTLE Reading Teacher: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Learning Theories
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Language & Reading Development
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Planning Reading Instruction
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Principles of Reading Assessment
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Reading Assessment Techniques
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Using Reading Assessment Data
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Promoting a Literate Environment
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Promoting Literacy Through Technology
- MTLE Reading Teacher: The Reading Professional
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Professional Organizations
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Emergent Literacy
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Spelling & Writing
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Phonics
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Developing Student Fluency
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Developing Student Vocabulary
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Language Arts Instruction
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Narrative Texts
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Expository Texts
- MTLE Reading Teacher: Oral Communication
- MTLE Reading Teacher Flashcards