About This Chapter
MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary) Test: Effective Oral Communication - Chapter Summary
Our engaging video lessons will cover the essential facts about oral communication and how it can be most effective. The knowledgeable instructors leading these lessons will provide you with a better understanding of the topics included on the MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary) Test. The lessons in this chapter will cover information like:
- The types of communication
- Kinds of speech delivery
- Using vocal qualities in public speaking
- Pronunciation, articulation and dialect in speeches
- The importance of visual aids in public speaking and how they can be used
- Using handouts in public speaking
Use this chapter to prepare for questions about effective oral communication on MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary) Test. Video lessons will explore this subject in-depth. After each lesson, you may choose to continue to preparing for exam day with multiple-choice quizzes.
1. Types of Communication: Interpersonal, Non-Verbal, Written & Oral
This lesson distinguishes between the various methods of communication used by managers, including interpersonal communication, nonverbal communication, written communication and oral communication.
2. Four Types of Speech Delivery: Impromptu, Extemporaneous, Manuscript & Memorized
There are four ways in which a speaker can deliver his or her information. Once can speak from his head, commit every word to memory, read from a script or use a blended approach.
3. Using Vocal Qualities to Convey Meaning in Public Speaking
To keep your audience engaged, it is important to consider vocal qualities like volume, pace and pitch. These qualities are what keep your speech not only interesting but also engaging. Learn about vocal qualities in this lesson.
4. Considering Pronunciation, Articulation, and Dialect in Public Speaking
The speaker's culture and habits often have much to do with the vocal traits of a speech. Thus, punctuation, articulation and dialect are three very personal aspects of speech delivery.
5. The Role of Visuals in Communication
Visuals used in business communication can help with message development. This lesson will explain how the use of visuals can increase understanding, development, communication, and the retainment of a message.
6. Preparing Visual Aids for a Speech: Guidelines & Tips
Visual aids can help make your speech engaging and memorable. But, how do you prepare your visual aids for maximum impact? Watch this lesson to find out how to design and structure effective visual aids for your presentation.
7. Using Visual Aids During Your Speech: Guidelines & Tips
Visual aids can help your speech or presentation be even more successful. There are some important considerations when planning to use visuals. Watch this lesson to find out what to do before and during your speech to make your visuals effective.
8. Tips for Using Effective Handouts in a Presentation
Audience members expect to be educated, informed or persuaded during a presentation. Handouts aid in the recall of the information presented. There are specific tips for using effective handouts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary)(091): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary): Communication Components
- MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary): Verbal & Nonverbal Language
- MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary): Receptive Roles & History of Media
- MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary): Oral & Written Literature
- MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary): Journalism, Performance Arts & Mass Media
- MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary): Journalistic Roles & Responsibilities
- MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary): Communicating to Your Audience
- MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary): Effective Listening
- MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary): Effective Written Communication
- MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary): Interpretation of Texts
- MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary): Research
- MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary): Analyzing & Evaluating Messages
- MTTC Communication Arts (Secondary): Interscholastic Communication Arts
- MTTC Communication Arts Flashcards