About This Chapter
MTTC Elementary Education: Earth & Space Science - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter of the study guide provide a thorough review of Earth & space science taught in elementary education, including the solar system, types of eclipses, and the cycle of the seasons. Volcanoes, soil erosion, and earthquakes are also explained within this chapter. Additionally, by the end of this chapter, you should be able to correctly answer any MTTC Elementary Education test questions about:
- Plate tectonics
- The water cycle
- Factors that influence weather
- The four spheres of Earth
- Natural resources
Knowledgeable instructors help you prepare for the MTTC exam by walking you through each subject using short, engaging video lessons. You can use the jump feature of the Timeline to skip directly to main topics within the videos, which allows you to review the topics with which you need the most help. Each video is accompanied by a transcript with important terms in bold print to help you identify them.
1. Solar System Overview
This lesson will go over the major aspects of our solar system, including the sun, planets, moons, asteroids, comets, meteors, meteorites, and meteoroids.
2. Interactions in the Sun-Earth-Moon System
Learn how the sun, earth, and moon interact with each other to create tides, phases, eclipses, seasons, solar winds, and precession. Take a quiz and see how much you've picked up.
3. The Dynamic Earth: Internal & External Forces that Shape Earth's Surface
There are many geologic processes that shape the surface of the Earth. Not only do they build and destroy a variety of landscapes, but they also give us clues to the interior of the Earth and the forces that exist there.
4. The Water Cycle: Precipitation, Condensation, and Evaporation
This lesson discusses the processes water takes as it moves around the Earth in the water cycle. You'll get an in-depth look at condensation, precipitation, and evaporation.
5. The Distribution of Water on Earth
Water covers most of Earth but in a variety of forms. In this video lesson you will learn about how water is distributed on Earth, though you may be surprised to find out just how little of it we can access!
6. Major Components of the Atmosphere
Our atmosphere is a complex mixture of many different gases. In this video lesson you will identify the major components of Earth's atmosphere as well as how much there is of each.
7. How Meteorologists Predict the Weather: Methods & Process
Did you ever wonder how meteorologists predict the weather? Read on to learn more about some of the methods and processes they use to guide them in their weather forecasts.
8. Seasonal Weather: Definition & Types
Typical seasonal weather patterns vary from one place to another. There are some weather phenomena that only occur in specific seasons and others that are more prone in certain seasons. This lesson will look at the various types of seasonal weather.
9. The Four Spheres of Earth: Geosphere, Hydrosphere, Biosphere, and Atmosphere
Earth is made up of four distinct yet connect spheres. In this video lesson, you will learn about where each sphere is found on Earth, as well as some features commonly found in each.
10. What Are Natural Resources? - Definition & Types
Natural resources are materials provided by the Earth that humans can use to make more complex (human-made) products. In this lesson, you will learn some examples of natural resources and how to classify them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Elementary Education (103): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Elementary Education: Language Acquisition & Literacy
- MTTC Elementary Education: Foundations of Literacy
- MTTC Elementary Education: Phonics & Fluency
- MTTC Elementary Education: Vocabulary & Reading Comprehension
- MTTC Elementary Education: Narrative & Expository Texts
- MTTC Elementary Education: The Writing Process
- MTTC Elementary Education: Types of Communication
- MTTC Elementary Education: Michigan History
- MTTC Elementary Education: Geography
- MTTC Elementary Education: Civics & Government
- MTTC Elementary Education: Economics
- MTTC Elementary Education: Social Studies
- MTTC Elementary Education: Visual Arts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Performing Arts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Art & Culture
- MTTC Elementary Education: Mathematical Reasoning & Development
- MTTC Elementary Education: Number Systems
- MTTC Elementary Education: Whole Number Operations
- MTTC Elementary Education: Ratios, Percents & Proportions
- MTTC Elementary Education: Units of Measurement
- MTTC Elementary Education: Geometry Concepts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Algebra Concepts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Data Analysis & Probability
- MTTC Elementary Education: Scientific Knowledge
- MTTC Elementary Education: Life Sciences
- MTTC Elementary Education: Physical Science
- MTTC Elementary Education: Health Education
- MTTC Elementary Education: Physical Education
- MTTC Elementary Education Flashcards