About This Chapter
MTTC Elementary Education: Foundations of Literacy - Chapter Summary
Literacy is such a foundational aspect of learning that the importance of establishing literacy concepts early can't be overemphasized. This chapter uses text and video lessons to explain how children develop literacy skills and learn various literacy principles. Reviewing the concepts and principles in the video lessons in this chapter will help prepare you for literacy portion of the MTTC Elementary Education exam. When you complete this chapter, you will be able to do the following:
- Point out the relationship between oral language and reading
- Identify the stages of phonological development in children
- Define phoneme segmentation
- Discuss the stages of spelling development
- Explain teaching strategies for phonological and phonemic skills
- Analyze the development of print awareness and concepts
- Summarize the role of the alphabetic principal in learning to read
Utilize the quizzes at the end of each lesson and the chapter exam to gauge what concepts you may need to re-examine. Our instructors are also available to answer any questions or clarify any concepts. Track your chapter and course progress in your dashboard.
1. The Relationship Between Speaking & Reading
Oral language plays an important role in the development of literacy skills. In this lesson, we will discuss the relationship between speaking, listening and reading development in children. We will also discuss oral language activities which strengthen literacy skills.
2. Phonological Development in Children: Stages & Overview
In this lesson you'll learn all about how children develop the ability to turn basic units of sound into actual language. We'll cover the major phonological skills and the stages of development. Following the lesson is a short quiz.
3. Phoneme: Definition, Segmentation & Examples
Phonemes are tiny units of sound in speech. When phonemes are combined, they can make up words. In this lesson, we will discuss what phonemes are, how to segment them in words and why they are important.
4. Stages of Spelling Development
Children don't start out knowing how to spell words. Instead, spelling (like many other skills) develops over time and with practice. Watch this lesson to find out more about the stages of spelling development that children go through.
5. Teaching Strategies for Phonological & Phonemic Skills
In this lesson, you'll gain an understanding of teaching strategies for helping students improve phonological skills. You'll also learn activities related to phonemic skills, and take a quiz to check your knowledge.
6. Development of Print Awareness & Concepts
One of the very first steps in the reading process is print awareness. This lesson defines print awareness and gives some hints on how to use lap reading to develop an understanding of print directionality, spacing, and the alphabetic principle.
7. The Alphabetic Principle & Learning to Read
Learning to read can often be a complex process for children, especially bilingual and other language learners. How does the alphabetic principle come into play? This lesson will explain how all children use the principle to develop reading.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Elementary Education (103): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Elementary Education: Language Acquisition & Literacy
- MTTC Elementary Education: Phonics & Fluency
- MTTC Elementary Education: Vocabulary & Reading Comprehension
- MTTC Elementary Education: Narrative & Expository Texts
- MTTC Elementary Education: The Writing Process
- MTTC Elementary Education: Types of Communication
- MTTC Elementary Education: Michigan History
- MTTC Elementary Education: Geography
- MTTC Elementary Education: Civics & Government
- MTTC Elementary Education: Economics
- MTTC Elementary Education: Social Studies
- MTTC Elementary Education: Visual Arts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Performing Arts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Art & Culture
- MTTC Elementary Education: Mathematical Reasoning & Development
- MTTC Elementary Education: Number Systems
- MTTC Elementary Education: Whole Number Operations
- MTTC Elementary Education: Ratios, Percents & Proportions
- MTTC Elementary Education: Units of Measurement
- MTTC Elementary Education: Geometry Concepts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Algebra Concepts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Data Analysis & Probability
- MTTC Elementary Education: Scientific Knowledge
- MTTC Elementary Education: Life Sciences
- MTTC Elementary Education: Earth & Space Science
- MTTC Elementary Education: Physical Science
- MTTC Elementary Education: Health Education
- MTTC Elementary Education: Physical Education
- MTTC Elementary Education Flashcards