About This Chapter
MTTC Elementary Education: Narrative & Expository Texts - Chapter Summary
Expert instructors in this chapter have developed high-quality video lessons that provide the comprehensive look at narrative and expository texts you need to succeed on the MTTC Elementary Education assessment. Watch the lessons at your leisure to prepare for questions on the exam that ask you to:
- Define and share the history and themes of children's literature
- Identify and describe genres in children's literature
- Share the meaning of and identify the types and characteristics of narrative writing
- Provide the definition and an explanation of the types of expository texts
- Explain the concept of teaching students with expository and narrative texts
- Describe different ways to teach oral, performance and media texts
- Detail instructional strategies for literary analysis and comprehension
All of the video lessons in this chapter average about 10 minutes each. Access to short, yet engaging lessons helps you get all the knowledge you need about narrative and expository texts while helping to fit your study sessions into a busy schedule. Review the lessons in the sequence that works best for you. Also feel free to utilize timelines with video tags that let you identify and skip to key topics without watching videos in full. Lesson quizzes can help you gauge your comprehension of the subject area.
1. What is Children's Literature? - History, Themes & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about children's literature, the only genre defined by its audience, through a discussion of its history and themes, while also taking at look at some representative examples.
2. What is Narrative Writing? - Definition, Types, Characteristics & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what makes a piece of writing a narrative. Examples are also given to illustrate the specific types of narrative writing.
3. What is Expository Text? - Definition, Types & Examples
Expository text exposes you to facts: plain and simple. In this lesson, you will learn how to understand and identify expository text. You will be able to distinguish between expository and narrative text and understand why this distinction is important.
4. Organizational Features of Expository Texts
Reading an expository text can seem like an intimidating ordeal. Read this lesson to find out how to use specific features of expository text to help you understand the material.
5. Teaching Children with Narrative & Expository Texts
Teachers can use different types of texts to promote growth in reading behaviors. This lesson discusses how to use narrative and expository texts to improve various reading skills, like comprehension or engagement.
6. Teaching Comprehension with Oral, Performance & Media Texts
In this lesson, we will identify characteristics and features of different forms of oral, performance, and media texts and discuss strategies for promoting students' comprehension, response, and analysis skills related to these forms.
7. Teaching Literary Analysis & Comprehension
Learning how to analyze and comprehend literary texts is one of the most advanced and exciting aspects of reading instruction. This lesson explores how to get students on the path toward deep comprehension.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Elementary Education (103): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Elementary Education: Language Acquisition & Literacy
- MTTC Elementary Education: Foundations of Literacy
- MTTC Elementary Education: Phonics & Fluency
- MTTC Elementary Education: Vocabulary & Reading Comprehension
- MTTC Elementary Education: The Writing Process
- MTTC Elementary Education: Types of Communication
- MTTC Elementary Education: Michigan History
- MTTC Elementary Education: Geography
- MTTC Elementary Education: Civics & Government
- MTTC Elementary Education: Economics
- MTTC Elementary Education: Social Studies
- MTTC Elementary Education: Visual Arts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Performing Arts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Art & Culture
- MTTC Elementary Education: Mathematical Reasoning & Development
- MTTC Elementary Education: Number Systems
- MTTC Elementary Education: Whole Number Operations
- MTTC Elementary Education: Ratios, Percents & Proportions
- MTTC Elementary Education: Units of Measurement
- MTTC Elementary Education: Geometry Concepts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Algebra Concepts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Data Analysis & Probability
- MTTC Elementary Education: Scientific Knowledge
- MTTC Elementary Education: Life Sciences
- MTTC Elementary Education: Earth & Space Science
- MTTC Elementary Education: Physical Science
- MTTC Elementary Education: Health Education
- MTTC Elementary Education: Physical Education
- MTTC Elementary Education Flashcards