About This Chapter
MTTC Elementary Education: Physical Science - Chapter Summary
Taking the MTTC Elementary Education assessment could mean revisiting concepts you haven't examined in awhile. The lessons in this physical science chapter cover the physical and chemical properties of matter, the definition of light, types of force, and more. Once you have completed this chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss states of matter and chemical versus physical changes to matter
- Detail types of energy transformation and energy transfer
- Define electricity
- Describe magnetic force
- Identify the definition and equations of motion
- Explain sound and the factors that affect the speed of sound
Enjoy this comprehensive overview of physical science, created by expert instructors who can help you fully understand the subject area. The lessons are available as visually entertaining videos or full transcripts with easily identifiable vocabulary words. Review each lesson at your leisure, then test your comprehension by taking the correlating self-assessment quiz. Before taking the exam, be sure to reinforce concepts in the lessons by taking the practice chapter exam.
1. Matter: Physical and Chemical Properties
How are substances identified? There are two major ways we can describe a substance: physical properties and chemical properties. Learn about how chemists use properties to classify matter as either a mixture or a pure substance.
2. States of Matter and Chemical Versus Physical Changes to Matter
The world around us is constantly changing. Chemists put those changes into two main categories: physical changes and chemical changes. This lesson will define and provide examples of each.
3. Energy Transformation: Definition, Types & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about the different kinds of energy and how these types of energy can be transformed from one form to another. You will also learn about some uses of these energy transformations in everyday life.
4. Energy Transfer: Examples & Overview
Learn about energy and how the sun provides the energy needed to sustain life on Earth. Discover energy transfer and how energy is neither created nor destroyed, but moves from one place to another or changes from one form to another.
5. What Is Electricity? - Definition & Concept
Learn the history of electricity, from Ben Franklin's kite experiment to laptop batteries. Explore the many different ways electricity is measured, generated, and stored.
6. Magnetic Force: Definition, Poles & Dipoles
You're probably familiar with magnets, but have you ever stopped to consider how they work? In this lesson, we'll look at the root of magnetism and some of the fundamental properties of magnets.
7. What Is Motion? - Definition & Equations
After watching this video, you will be able to explain what motion is and use basic equations of motion to solve problems. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
8. Force: Definition and Types
Force is everywhere and it comes in a variety of sizes, directions, and types. In this video lesson, you'll identify force as well the different types of force that objects may experience.
9. What is Light?
This lesson will define and describe what light is from both technical and more common-use perspectives, discuss what the different kinds of light are, and explain why it's called radiation.
10. What is Sound? - Definition and Factors Affecting the Speed of Sound
Explore the minute workings of sound waves and how they travel. We'll discuss the main factors that affect the speed of sound waves, and we'll try some mathematical problems involving the wave equation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Elementary Education (103): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Elementary Education: Language Acquisition & Literacy
- MTTC Elementary Education: Foundations of Literacy
- MTTC Elementary Education: Phonics & Fluency
- MTTC Elementary Education: Vocabulary & Reading Comprehension
- MTTC Elementary Education: Narrative & Expository Texts
- MTTC Elementary Education: The Writing Process
- MTTC Elementary Education: Types of Communication
- MTTC Elementary Education: Michigan History
- MTTC Elementary Education: Geography
- MTTC Elementary Education: Civics & Government
- MTTC Elementary Education: Economics
- MTTC Elementary Education: Social Studies
- MTTC Elementary Education: Visual Arts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Performing Arts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Art & Culture
- MTTC Elementary Education: Mathematical Reasoning & Development
- MTTC Elementary Education: Number Systems
- MTTC Elementary Education: Whole Number Operations
- MTTC Elementary Education: Ratios, Percents & Proportions
- MTTC Elementary Education: Units of Measurement
- MTTC Elementary Education: Geometry Concepts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Algebra Concepts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Data Analysis & Probability
- MTTC Elementary Education: Scientific Knowledge
- MTTC Elementary Education: Life Sciences
- MTTC Elementary Education: Earth & Space Science
- MTTC Elementary Education: Health Education
- MTTC Elementary Education: Physical Education
- MTTC Elementary Education Flashcards