About This Chapter
MTTC Elementary Education: Vocabulary & Reading Comprehension - Chapter Summary
Ensure you're ready to address vocabulary and reading comprehension on the MTTC Elementary Education assessment by watching lessons prepared by expert instructors. Lessons cover strategies for teaching vocabulary in context, techniques for vocabulary assessment and more. Upon completion of this chapter, you will be ready for questions that ask you to:
- Describe how to use structural analysis to determine the meaning of words
- Discuss the literal, inferential and evaluative aspects of reading comprehension
- Explain the factors that help and hinder reading comprehension
- Identify reading comprehension strategies and assessment techniques
The subject matter experts in this chapter make it easy for you to get reacquainted with vocabulary and reading comprehension. They provide the definitions, examples and explanations you need to get the greatest insight into this subject area. You'll feel even more confident in your ability to succeed on the day of the test by assessing your knowledge of these lessons with short quizzes and a chapter exam. After completing this chapter, if you feel unclear about any lesson topics, feel free to submit your questions to our experts.
1. Using Structural Analysis to Determine the Meaning of Words
Discover the importance of using structural analysis to understand unfamiliar words. In this lesson, we'll discuss how to divide unknown words into known pieces to comprehend their overall meanings.
2. Teaching Vocabulary in Context
Learning vocabulary in context helps people make connections for better comprehension. We'll look at a variety of learning strategies that can help students understand and incorporate new words effectively. After the lesson, test your new knowledge with our quiz questions!
3. Strategies for Teaching Vocabulary
Vocabulary instruction is an essential component in language development. Using a variety of teaching strategies, including vocabulary journals, foldables, word walls, and games, helps teachers increase student engagement and vocabulary retention.
4. Effective Techniques for Vocabulary Assessment
In this lesson, we will examine various types of vocabulary assessments and discuss how teachers select words to be taught and assessed based on intended outcomes.
5. Reading Comprehension: Literal, Inferential & Evaluative
Reading comprehension involves three levels of understanding: literal meaning, inferential meaning, and evaluative meaning. This lesson will differentiate and define these three levels.
6. What Factors Help & Hinder Reading Comprehension?
Being able to understand what we read is center to a solid reading program. What kinds of things help or hinder us from comprehending? This lesson will explain these factors and help you understand how they impact reading development.
7. Reading Comprehension Strategies
Learning to hone the skills of reading comprehension can be difficult. To help in the process this lesson explores visualizing, making connections and inferences, determining importance, and synthesizing text.
8. Assessment Techniques for Reading Comprehension
Need to assess your students' reading ability? Not quite sure where to begin? This lesson describes several techniques reading teachers can use to assess students' reading comprehension.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Elementary Education (103): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Elementary Education: Language Acquisition & Literacy
- MTTC Elementary Education: Foundations of Literacy
- MTTC Elementary Education: Phonics & Fluency
- MTTC Elementary Education: Narrative & Expository Texts
- MTTC Elementary Education: The Writing Process
- MTTC Elementary Education: Types of Communication
- MTTC Elementary Education: Michigan History
- MTTC Elementary Education: Geography
- MTTC Elementary Education: Civics & Government
- MTTC Elementary Education: Economics
- MTTC Elementary Education: Social Studies
- MTTC Elementary Education: Visual Arts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Performing Arts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Art & Culture
- MTTC Elementary Education: Mathematical Reasoning & Development
- MTTC Elementary Education: Number Systems
- MTTC Elementary Education: Whole Number Operations
- MTTC Elementary Education: Ratios, Percents & Proportions
- MTTC Elementary Education: Units of Measurement
- MTTC Elementary Education: Geometry Concepts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Algebra Concepts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Data Analysis & Probability
- MTTC Elementary Education: Scientific Knowledge
- MTTC Elementary Education: Life Sciences
- MTTC Elementary Education: Earth & Space Science
- MTTC Elementary Education: Physical Science
- MTTC Elementary Education: Health Education
- MTTC Elementary Education: Physical Education
- MTTC Elementary Education Flashcards