About This Chapter
MTTC Elementary Education: Whole Number Operations - Chapter Summary
This chapter walks you through the steps of completing various forms of whole number operations in mathematics as you prepare for the MTTC Elementary Education exam. There are lessons on exponent properties, the order of operations, number theory and more. Once you complete these lessons you should be able to:
- Perform arithmetic with whole numbers
- Complete arithmetic operations with fractions, decimals and integers
- Explain commutative, associative and distributive properties
- Find the prime factorization, greatest common factor and least common multiple
Each lesson caters to your personal learning preference by providing both a video and transcript of the content, both of which include features that make it easy to navigate through the key topics. The timeline allows you to skip around to key points of the videos, while the transcripts have important terms in bold for easy identification.
1. Arithmetic with Whole Numbers
There are four basic mathematical operations: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These four operations are used in a wide range of everyday skills and are the fundamental blocks of arithmetic.
2. Arithmetic Operations: Fractions, Decimals & Integers
In this lesson, we'll learn how to express numbers in integer, fraction, and decimal formats and how to do the four basic arithmetic operations in each of these formats.
3. Exponent: Definition & Properties
An exponent tells you how many times to use a number in a multiplication problem. This lesson will define the properties of exponents and how to interpret them. There will also be a quiz at the end of the lesson.
4. What Is The Order of Operations in Math? - Definition & Examples
The order of operations is the steps used to simplify any mathematical expression. In this video, learn how to solve problems using these steps and easy tricks to remember them.
5. Number Properties: Commutative, Associative & Distributive
We often find ourselves using real number properties when working on math problems. These properties come in a variety of forms, but in this lesson we'll focus on learning about the commutative, associative, and distributive properties.
6. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
7. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
8. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
9. Number Theory: Divisibility & Division Algorithm
In this lesson, we'll define the division algorithm and divisibility. We'll see how these two concepts are related and use examples to explore some different divisibility rules to add to your math toolbox.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Elementary Education (103): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Elementary Education: Language Acquisition & Literacy
- MTTC Elementary Education: Foundations of Literacy
- MTTC Elementary Education: Phonics & Fluency
- MTTC Elementary Education: Vocabulary & Reading Comprehension
- MTTC Elementary Education: Narrative & Expository Texts
- MTTC Elementary Education: The Writing Process
- MTTC Elementary Education: Types of Communication
- MTTC Elementary Education: Michigan History
- MTTC Elementary Education: Geography
- MTTC Elementary Education: Civics & Government
- MTTC Elementary Education: Economics
- MTTC Elementary Education: Social Studies
- MTTC Elementary Education: Visual Arts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Performing Arts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Art & Culture
- MTTC Elementary Education: Mathematical Reasoning & Development
- MTTC Elementary Education: Number Systems
- MTTC Elementary Education: Ratios, Percents & Proportions
- MTTC Elementary Education: Units of Measurement
- MTTC Elementary Education: Geometry Concepts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Algebra Concepts
- MTTC Elementary Education: Data Analysis & Probability
- MTTC Elementary Education: Scientific Knowledge
- MTTC Elementary Education: Life Sciences
- MTTC Elementary Education: Earth & Space Science
- MTTC Elementary Education: Physical Science
- MTTC Elementary Education: Health Education
- MTTC Elementary Education: Physical Education
- MTTC Elementary Education Flashcards