About This Chapter
MTTC English: Benefits of Studying Literature - Chapter Summary
The video lessons will make sure you're well aware of multiple pros to studying literature that may be targeted by the MTTC English test. After you've completed the chapter, you should be ready to take on any questions regarding:
- Greater appreciation of diversity from studying literature
- Literature enhancing language skills
- How studying literature promotes self-expression
- Lifelong reading advantages
You can look over these short videos on an Internet-enabled handheld device when there isn't a computer nearby. Answer the practice quizzes' questions to confirm your understanding of the issues discussed.
MTTC English: Benefits of Studying Literature Chapter Objectives
The MTTC English test measures your knowledge of the subject matter to see whether it meets teacher certification criteria. Material on the different benefits of studying literature aligns with the objectives of the exam's literature and understanding subarea, which is worth around 25% of your score. You'll run into only multiple-choice questions from this particular subarea.
1. Using Literature to Appreciate Diversity
In this lesson, we will learn how literature promotes social diversity appreciation and examine Narrative Learning Theory as it relates to this important topic.
2. How Literature Can Enrich Language Skills
Literature enriches language skills in a number of ways. In fact, literature serves as an often welcome break from constant repetitive drills and word lists, while keeping interest high in reading comprehension and language learning.
3. Developing Self-Expression Through Literary Study
This lesson discusses the ways in which studying literature can help us to discover more about our personal tastes, values, worldview, and ultimately develop our means of written and verbal expression.
4. The Benefits of Becoming a Lifelong Reader
Lifelong readers continue reading beyond their school years. This lesson will explain the benefits of becoming a lifelong reader and will end with a short quiz to test what you have learned.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC English (002): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC English: Integrated Language Arts
- MTTC English: Development of the English Language
- MTTC English: Language Acquisition & Development
- MTTC English: Listening & Communication Strategies
- MTTC English: Literary Forms & Genres
- MTTC English: Literary Elements
- MTTC English: Types of Poetry
- MTTC English: Forms of Nonfiction
- MTTC English: Literature & Culture
- MTTC English: American Literature
- MTTC English: Transcendental, Realist & Naturalist Works
- MTTC English: Modernist Literature
- MTTC English: The Harlem Renaissance
- MTTC English: Contemporary Literature
- MTTC English: Analyzing American Literature
- MTTC English: Shakespeare & The Renaissance
- MTTC English: 17th & 18th Century Literature
- MTTC English: Romantic Literature
- MTTC English: Victorian Literature
- MTTC English: Modern Literature
- MTTC English: World Literature
- MTTC English: Literature for Children & Teens
- MTTC English: Literary Analysis
- MTTC English: Language Development
- MTTC English: Literary Devices
- MTTC English: Expository Writing
- MTTC English: Analytical Writing
- MTTC English: Persuasive Writing
- MTTC English: Narrative Writing
- MTTC English: The Writing Process
- MTTC English: The Revision Process
- MTTC English: Visual Communication
- MTTC English: Reading Strategies
- MTTC English: Critical Analysis of Texts
- MTTC English: Eliciting Student Responses to Texts
- MTTC English Flashcards