About This Chapter
MTTC English: Language Acquisition & Development - Chapter Summary
Review language acquisition and development to increase your chances of succeeding on the MTTC English assessment. By watching the lessons in this chapter, you will be prepared for the following on the exam:
- Explaining language acquisition
- Understanding the nativist perspective and language development
- Analyzing bilingual education, immersion and multicultural education
The expert instruction in this chapter allows you to get the comprehensive review of language acquisition and development you need to confidently answer questions on the exam. The lessons are detailed, yet fun to watch, creating a pleasurable studying experience.
Objectives of the MTTC English: Language Acquisition & Development Chapter
The MTTC English assessment is a subject-area test designed for educators who teach middle grades and secondary levels who want to add an English endorsement to their Michigan teaching certificate. The test is composed of 100 multiple-choice questions and can be taken on paper or computer. To ease the process of preparing for the test, take advantage of the multiple-choice self-assessment quizzes in this chapter that can also be taken online, or printed and taken on paper. A chapter exam is also available to gauge your comprehension of all the lessons.
The topics covered in this language acquisition and development chapter are located in the meaning and communication subarea of the exam, which constitutes approximately 20% of the total assessment. To pass the MTTC assessment, you must earn a minimum score of 220.
1. Language Acquisition: Definition, Theories & Stages
Have you ever wondered how humans are able to learn, process, comprehend and speak a language? In this lesson on language acquisition, we'll take a look at some distinctions between languages and learn how babies come to understand and speak a language.
2. The Nativist Perspective and Language Development
In this lesson, learn how we develop language according to the nativist perspective. Discover Noam Chomsky's idea of the language acquisition device (LAD) and its role in this process.
3. Bilingual Education, Immersion & Multicultural Education
Educators use many approaches for second-language instruction. The approaches vary based on the individual needs of the learner, focusing on his or her current language abilities, background, and cultural experiences. This lesson will differentiate between the different types of second-language instruction, including immersion, bilingual education, and multicultural education.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC English (002): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC English: Integrated Language Arts
- MTTC English: Development of the English Language
- MTTC English: Listening & Communication Strategies
- MTTC English: Literary Forms & Genres
- MTTC English: Literary Elements
- MTTC English: Types of Poetry
- MTTC English: Forms of Nonfiction
- MTTC English: Benefits of Studying Literature
- MTTC English: Literature & Culture
- MTTC English: American Literature
- MTTC English: Transcendental, Realist & Naturalist Works
- MTTC English: Modernist Literature
- MTTC English: The Harlem Renaissance
- MTTC English: Contemporary Literature
- MTTC English: Analyzing American Literature
- MTTC English: Shakespeare & The Renaissance
- MTTC English: 17th & 18th Century Literature
- MTTC English: Romantic Literature
- MTTC English: Victorian Literature
- MTTC English: Modern Literature
- MTTC English: World Literature
- MTTC English: Literature for Children & Teens
- MTTC English: Literary Analysis
- MTTC English: Language Development
- MTTC English: Literary Devices
- MTTC English: Expository Writing
- MTTC English: Analytical Writing
- MTTC English: Persuasive Writing
- MTTC English: Narrative Writing
- MTTC English: The Writing Process
- MTTC English: The Revision Process
- MTTC English: Visual Communication
- MTTC English: Reading Strategies
- MTTC English: Critical Analysis of Texts
- MTTC English: Eliciting Student Responses to Texts
- MTTC English Flashcards