About This Chapter
MTTC English: Language Development - Chapter Summary
Review comprehensive lessons that allow you to take a closer look at language development as you study for the MTTC English assessment. These videos and text lessons can ensure you're ready to answer questions that address:
- Analyzing the purpose and process of descriptive linguistics
- Understanding the stages of language development
- Examining the meaning of anacoluthon
- Comparing descriptive and prescriptive conventions of grammar
Instructors make learning about language development entertaining with the help of fun visuals and illustrations. Enjoy a comprehensive approach to instruction that allows you to solidify your knowledge of the subject and boost your confidence as you study for assessment.
Objectives of the MTTC English: Language Development Chapter
The resources in the MTTC English: Language Development chapter can help you answer questions in the genre and craft of language subarea of the assessment, which constitutes approximately 30% of the total test. The test is required for prospective and current educators who want to add an English endorsement to their new or existing Michigan teaching certificate and educate students in the middle grades or secondary levels.
The test is made up of 100 multiple-choice questions. It can be taken on paper or a computer and requires a score of 220 to pass. Strengthen your knowledge of language development by watching the video lessons and reading transcripts to get steps closer to your goal of succeeding on the exam. Utilize the self-assessment quiz with each lesson and the chapter exam to reinforce the knowledge you've acquired.
1. What Is Descriptive Linguistics? - Purpose & Process
This lesson will seek to explain the field of descriptive linguistics. In doing so, it will highlight the terms phonology, morphology, and syntax while discussing examples from around the globe.
2. Stages of Language Development: Pre-Linguistic and Symbolic Language
How does language expression emerge in children? Learn about the development of syntax in children through the pre-linguistic and linguistic stages of language development in this lesson.
3. Anacoluthon: Definition & Examples
If I had a dollar for every--what were we talking about? Oh, yeah! Anacoluthon! If this syntactic phenomenon were a kid in your class, it would definitely be the one always in detention for interrupting the teacher. Read on to find out more about this disruptive literary influence, along with a few examples!
4. Descriptive vs. Prescriptive Conventions of Grammar
What is the difference between prescriptive and descriptive approaches to grammar? This lesson explores the value of each approach to language and why both are important.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC English (002): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC English: Integrated Language Arts
- MTTC English: Development of the English Language
- MTTC English: Language Acquisition & Development
- MTTC English: Listening & Communication Strategies
- MTTC English: Literary Forms & Genres
- MTTC English: Literary Elements
- MTTC English: Types of Poetry
- MTTC English: Forms of Nonfiction
- MTTC English: Benefits of Studying Literature
- MTTC English: Literature & Culture
- MTTC English: American Literature
- MTTC English: Transcendental, Realist & Naturalist Works
- MTTC English: Modernist Literature
- MTTC English: The Harlem Renaissance
- MTTC English: Contemporary Literature
- MTTC English: Analyzing American Literature
- MTTC English: Shakespeare & The Renaissance
- MTTC English: 17th & 18th Century Literature
- MTTC English: Romantic Literature
- MTTC English: Victorian Literature
- MTTC English: Modern Literature
- MTTC English: World Literature
- MTTC English: Literature for Children & Teens
- MTTC English: Literary Analysis
- MTTC English: Literary Devices
- MTTC English: Expository Writing
- MTTC English: Analytical Writing
- MTTC English: Persuasive Writing
- MTTC English: Narrative Writing
- MTTC English: The Writing Process
- MTTC English: The Revision Process
- MTTC English: Visual Communication
- MTTC English: Reading Strategies
- MTTC English: Critical Analysis of Texts
- MTTC English: Eliciting Student Responses to Texts
- MTTC English Flashcards