About This Chapter
MTTC English: Literature for Children & Teens - Chapter Summary
This chapter's lessons let you review techniques for assessing literature aimed at children and teens. Use our lessons to help you prepare for MTTC English exam questions on:
- History of children's literature
- Common themes in literature for children
- Major works of young adult literature
- Choosing appropriate reading material for children and teens
You can watch these lessons on a computer or mobile device as your schedule permits, from anywhere with an Internet signal. After going through the engaging lessons, check your understanding of key themes and terms with the corresponding lesson quizzes or chapter exam.
MTTC English: Literature for Children & Teens Chapter Objectives
In Michigan, passing the MTTC English exam is a requirement for certification to teach the subject. This exam contains four subareas. Questions regarding children's and teen literature are in the Literature and Understanding subarea, which accounts for 26% of the exam's scoring.
Like the short quizzes that accompany each of our lessons, the exam consists entirely of multiple-choice questions. It is available as a computer- or paper-based test. In addition to offering experience in answering questions on a computer, the quizzes test your knowledge and point out where you need extra review before test day.
1. What is Children's Literature? - History, Themes & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about children's literature, the only genre defined by its audience, through a discussion of its history and themes, while also taking at look at some representative examples.
2. Young Adult Literature: Major Works & Their Cultural Impact
Young adult literature is designed to appeal to young readers. This lesson will discuss some major works of young adult literature along with their cultural impact. We will end with a brief quiz to see what you have learned.
3. Selecting Grade-Appropriate Texts
This lesson identifies three key aspects of a text to look at when choosing grade-appropriate readings for students. It also you gives tools and suggestions to use to find readings that will meet the needs of the variety of readers in a classroom setting.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC English (002): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC English: Integrated Language Arts
- MTTC English: Development of the English Language
- MTTC English: Language Acquisition & Development
- MTTC English: Listening & Communication Strategies
- MTTC English: Literary Forms & Genres
- MTTC English: Literary Elements
- MTTC English: Types of Poetry
- MTTC English: Forms of Nonfiction
- MTTC English: Benefits of Studying Literature
- MTTC English: Literature & Culture
- MTTC English: American Literature
- MTTC English: Transcendental, Realist & Naturalist Works
- MTTC English: Modernist Literature
- MTTC English: The Harlem Renaissance
- MTTC English: Contemporary Literature
- MTTC English: Analyzing American Literature
- MTTC English: Shakespeare & The Renaissance
- MTTC English: 17th & 18th Century Literature
- MTTC English: Romantic Literature
- MTTC English: Victorian Literature
- MTTC English: Modern Literature
- MTTC English: World Literature
- MTTC English: Literary Analysis
- MTTC English: Language Development
- MTTC English: Literary Devices
- MTTC English: Expository Writing
- MTTC English: Analytical Writing
- MTTC English: Persuasive Writing
- MTTC English: Narrative Writing
- MTTC English: The Writing Process
- MTTC English: The Revision Process
- MTTC English: Visual Communication
- MTTC English: Reading Strategies
- MTTC English: Critical Analysis of Texts
- MTTC English: Eliciting Student Responses to Texts
- MTTC English Flashcards