About This Chapter
MTTC: Hardware & Software - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter to improve your understanding of the hardware and software used in businesses prior to taking the MTTC Business, Management, Marketing and Technology exam. Watch these videos on your computer or mobile devices to follow along with our professional instructors as they explain:
- Computer parts and functions
- Components and hardware of telecommunication systems
- Hardware and software of computer operating systems
- Functions of operating systems and software
- Operations of the World Wide Web
- Application software
- Microsoft office and applications software
- Presentation, database, spreadsheet and workgroup software
- Communications standards and the Internet
- Types of computer networks
- Functions of wireless computing devices
Following these lesson videos, take the quizzes that accompany them to test your understanding of the material presented. Use the results from these assessments to find any topics you didn't master then reinforce your understanding of these areas using the video tags that take you to the locations of the lessons that covered that topic.
MTTC: Hardware & Software Chapter Objectives
The Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Business, Management, Marketing and Technology exam is used to measure potential educators understanding of business and technology. This certification exam includes 100 multiple-choice questions.. One-quarter of the material covered by this exam is about technology, which may include questions on the hardware and software topics covered here. Complete this chapter to improve your understanding of the hardware, software and operating systems of computer and telecommunications systems prior to taking this certification exam.
1. Computer System Components: Computer Parts & Functions
Are you ready to buy a computer? Let's take a trip through the components of a computer for some advice. We'll learn about the motherboard, memory, storage, connectivity and peripherals.
2. The Components of a Telecommunications System
Telecommunication is communication at a distance using electrical signals or electromagnetic waves. Learn about the components and properties of telecommunication systems.
3. Telecommunications Hardware: Routers, Modems, Switches, Bridges, and Gateways
Building a computer network requires specialized hardware. Learn about transmission media and the variety of hardware devices needed for a computer network.
4. Computer Operating Systems: Managing Hardware and Software Resources
This lesson will introduce you to computer operating systems and help you figure out the difference between application and operating system software. Also, we will learn the difference between a desktop and wallpaper.
5. OS Functions: Security, System Management, Communication and Hardware & Software Services
The operating system (or OS ) is the brain of a computer and manages its functions, including systems management/monitoring, communication/networking services management, security services management, and hardware/software services management.
6. Application Software for Personal, Enterprise & Workgroup Objectives
Application software is a computer program to carry out a specific task. Learn about the different types of applications at the individual, workgroup and enterprise level.
7. Microsoft Office and Open Office: Office Suite Applications
Office suite software is a collection of commonly used applications. It typically includes word processing, spreadsheet, presentation and database software. Learn how these applications work together to increase productivity in this video lesson.
8. Presentation Software & Graphic Suites: Purpose & Examples
To make an impact on your audience, you not only need a strong message, you also need strong visuals. Learn how presentation and illustration software helps you make an impact when showing your work.
9. Database and Spreadsheet Software: Excel, Access, dBase & Lotus 1-2-3
Spreadsheet software and database software are both used to organize and manipulate data. Each application has its own unique strengths. Learn about the functionality of both types of software.
10. Workgroup Application Software for Business Teams
Many activities in organizations are carried out by workgroups. Learn about specialized workgroup software that makes it easier for members to communicate and collaborate more effectively in this video lesson.
11. World Wide Web: How the Web Works
In this lesson, an overview of the World Wide Web is discussed, including its development and operation. The various technologies that enable the Web to work are also described. Topics include Web browsers, hypertext markup language, hypertext transfer protocol, hyperlink and FTP.
12. Internet Connectivity and Communication Standards
This lesson explores the network protocols that aid in data communication. It also discusses networking standards (formal and de facto) and introduces some of the organizations that are involved in establishing these networking standards.
13. Computer Networks and Distributed Processing: PAN, LAN, WAN, MAN
Computer networks can vary in size from a handful of devices within a single room to millions of devices spread across the entire globe. Learn about the different types of networks.
14. Communication & Wireless Computing Devices: GPS, PDA, Cellular & Satellite
A large number of different devices use wireless communications networks. Learn about the different types of devices and which communication signals they use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Business, Management, Marketing & Technology (098): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC: Accounting
- MTTC: Account Types
- MTTC: Financial Statements
- MTTC: Financial Planning & Markets
- MTTC: Taxation & Liability
- MTTC: Business Math
- MTTC: Business Communication Strategies
- MTTC: Types of Business Communication
- MTTC: Regulation in Business
- MTTC: Business Law
- MTTC: Business Ethics
- MTTC: Management & Leadership
- MTTC: Human Resource Management
- MTTC: Human Resource Processes
- MTTC: Labor Relations
- MTTC: Macroeconomics
- MTTC: Microeconomics
- MTTC: Personal Finance
- MTTC: Managing Debt & Risk
- MTTC: Marketing Strategy
- MTTC: Consumer Marketing
- MTTC: Marketing Channels & Distribution
- MTTC: Marketing Economics
- MTTC: Entrepreneurship
- MTTC: International Trade & Marketing
- MTTC: Information Technology in Business
- MTTC: Information Systems
- MTTC: Security & Privacy
- MTTC: Career Management
- MTTC Business, Management, Marketing & Technology Flashcards