About This Chapter
MTTC History: Ancient Middle East and India - Chapter Summary
You can use the lessons contained in this chapter to find out everything you will need to know about ancient Middle East and India for the MTTC History Exam. The videos cover the following topics:
- Heirs of the Sumerians
- The Hittites
- Proto-Indo-European language
- Ancient Assyrians
- The Persian Empire
- The Mauryan Empire
- Trade networks in the Middle East
- The Mongolians
- Suleiman and the Ottoman Empire
Our experienced instructors will help you learn the important facts about these cultures so that you are prepared for the test. Learning with our entertaining videos and self-assessment quizzes helps you absorb the information and enjoy yourself while you study.
Objectives of the MTTC History: Ancient Middle East and India Chapter
The MTTC History exam is a credentialing exam for prospective history teachers in Michigan. It tests your knowledge of world and American history from ancient times through to the present. The topics in this Ancient Middle East and India chapter fall within the World History subarea of the test; this subarea makes up 33% of the exam questions.
The exam is made up of 100 multiple-choice test items. You will be asked to read a passage or question and then select the correct answer from among a small group of possible answers. You may take the test either in a paper-and-pencil or the computer-based format. By completing the self-assessment quizzes in this chapter, you will already have some experience with answering the types of question you will see on the actual test and should be better prepared for the actual exam.
1. Heirs of the Sumerians: Babylonians, Hittites, Hurrians and Assyrians
This lecture covers the history of Mesopotamia from the disintegration of the Sumerian Empire to the great Bronze Age collapse. We'll explore the destructive force of the Elamites and the Hittites as well as the imperial ambitions of the Babylonians, the Mittani and the Assyrians.
2. The Hittites: Civilization, History & Definition
This lesson will explore the history of the Indo-European group known as the Hittites. The Hittites began as a group of tribes sharing a common language and land. They unified as a single empire to become a major competitor in the quest for land and resources.
3. Ancient Assyrians: History, Civilization & Culture
Ancient Assyria was one of the first great international empires. Located in Mesopotamia, it dominated the entire Middle East for several hundred years. Learn about the civilization, culture and imperial expansion of the Ancient Assyrians in this lesson.
4. Proto-Indo-European Language: Roots & Explanation
In this lesson, we will explore the Indo-European family of languages. Scholars have long wondered whether most languages in Europe, the Middle East and India actually descended from a common ancestral language, an Indo-European proto-language.
5. History of the Persian Empire
The Persian Empire has all the great aspects of an amazing story - an unlikely rise to power against an evil king, a ruler who is beloved by his people, and a military that was centuries ahead of its time.
6. The Mauryan Empire in India: Rulers & Edicts
In this lesson, we will study India's Mauryan Empire. We will learn about its rulers, explore its government and economy, delve into its religious life, and examine its decline and disappearance.
7. Trade Networks in the Middle Ages: Empires & Routes
In this lesson, we explore several of the more important trade networks during the Middle Ages, from the Silk Road across Central Asia to the gold trade across the Sahara.
8. Mongolians and Their Contributions to Western Civilization
This lesson covers the contributions of the Mongols to Western civilization. We begin by examining the tale of Marco Polo. Next, we look at some common misconceptions about the Mongols. Finally, we enumerate the many technologies brought to Europe by this group.
9. Suleiman and the Ottoman Empire: History, Culture & Exploits
This lesson will focus on Suleiman the Magnificent, ruler of the Ottoman Empire. It will highlight his conquests of Eastern Europe and his wars with the Habsburg Dynasty. It will also discuss the cultural advancements of his rule.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC History: Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC History: Historical Research
- MTTC History: Tools for the Classroom
- MTTC History: The Stone Age
- MTTC History: The Bronze & Iron Ages
- MTTC History: Ancient Civilizations
- MTTC History: Early China & Japan
- MTTC History: Foundations of Religion
- MTTC History: Hinduism
- MTTC History: Buddhism
- MTTC History: Confucianism
- MTTC History: Judaism
- MTTC History: Christianity
- MTTC History: Islam
- MTTC History: Classical Greece
- MTTC History: The Roman Republic & The Roman Empire
- MTTC History: Government & Culture in the Middle Ages
- MTTC History: War, Revolution & Culture in France & England
- MTTC History: European Renaissance & Reformation
- MTTC History: African Cultures Before European Colonization
- MTTC History: Exploration & Colonization of the Americas
- MTTC History: Revolution & War in the Americas
- MTTC History: Revolution & Independence in Europe
- MTTC History: The Industrial Revolution & Enlightenment
- MTTC History: Germany During the World Wars
- MTTC History: The World Wars
- MTTC History: The Cold War
- MTTC History: Pre-Columbian North America
- MTTC History: Early North American Settlements
- MTTC History: Road to the American Revolution
- MTTC History: The American Revolution
- MTTC History: Ratification of the U.S. Constitution
- MTTC History: The Virginia Dynasty
- MTTC History: Jacksonian Democracy
- MTTC History: Manifest Destiny
- MTTC History: The American Civil War
- MTTC History: American Reconstruction
- MTTC History: Industrialization & Urbanization in the U.S.
- MTTC History: The Progressive Era
- MTTC History: American Imperialism
- MTTC History: The Roaring 20s in the U.S.
- MTTC History: The Great Depression in the U.S.
- MTTC History: World War II
- MTTC History: The Cold War & U.S. Politics
- MTTC History: Protests, Activism & Civil Rights
- MTTC History: America in the 1970s
- MTTC History: Contemporary American Presidents
- MTTC History: Introduction to Geography
- MTTC History: Spatial Processes
- MTTC History: Geography Tools
- MTTC History: The Dispersal of Humans & Culture
- MTTC History: Human Settlement Patterns
- MTTC History: Population & the Environment
- MTTC History: Ethnicity & Geography
- MTTC History: Geography of Languages, Religions & Material Culture
- MTTC History: Basics of Political Science
- MTTC History: American Government Overview
- MTTC History: Constitutional Democracy in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Federalism in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Political Ideologies & Philosophy
- MTTC History: American Political Culture, Opinion & Behavior
- MTTC History: Civil Liberties in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Civil Rights in the U.S.
- MTTC History: U.S. Political Parties
- MTTC History: U.S. Electoral Systems
- MTTC History: Interest Groups & American Democracy
- MTTC History: Federal Bureaucracy in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Types of Legislatures in Government
- MTTC History: The American Presidency
- MTTC History: The American Congress
- MTTC History: The Federal Judicial System
- MTTC History: Introduction to Economics
- MTTC History: Scarcity, Choice & the Production Possibilities Curve
- MTTC History: Demand, Supply & Market Equilibrium
- MTTC History: Aggregate Demand & Supply
- MTTC History: Measuring the Economy
- MTTC History: Federal Government & the American Economy
- MTTC History: Inflation Measurement & Adjustment
- MTTC History: Understanding Unemployment
- MTTC History: Inflation & Unemployment
- MTTC History: Macroeconomic Equilibrium
- MTTC History: Money, Banking & Financial Markets
- MTTC History: Central Bank & the Money Supply
- MTTC History: Fiscal & Monetary Policies
- MTTC History: Foreign Exchange & the Balance of Payments
- MTTC History: Democratic Values & Society