About This Chapter
MTTC History: Early China and Japan - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to help you understand the highlights of the historical early periods in China and Japan. The videos will help you prepare for questions on these topics on the MTTC History Exam. They cover the following topics:
- The Xia Dynasty in China
- The Shang and Zhou Dynasties in China
- Chinese Dynasties from 1000-1300 CE
- The military society of Japan and the samurais in the 12th century
- The achievements of the Ming Dynasty
- India from 1000-1300 CE
- European imperialism in China
- Decline of Confucianism and the Republic of China
- Marx & Engels and the Communist Manifesto
- The Chinese Revolution and the creation of Taiwan
Our experienced instructors review each topic with you, highlighting the main points in preparation for the test. By using both the videos and the quizzes you will learn the material effectively and efficiently.
Objectives of the MTTC History: Early China and Japan Chapter
The MTTC History Exam evaluates your knowledge and understanding of all aspects of world and American history from ancient times through the present. A passing grade on this exam is required for teacher licensure in the state of Michigan. The topics under Early China and Japan fall under the World History objective which comprises 33% of the exam questions. By using our self-assessment quizzes, you can get a good idea of the types of questions that will be asked on the actual exam.
The MTTC History Exam is given in both paper-and-pencil and computer-based-test (CBT) formats. It consists of 100 multiple-choice questions. You will read a passage or a question and then review a series of possible responses from which you must choose the single correct answer.
1. China's Xia Dynasty: Timeline, Culture & Achievements
According to many who study China, the Xia Dynasty is just a dream of earlier Chinese rulers. For others, it is the link between the farming settlements of the Huang He civilization and Chinese history.
2. Ancient China: Shang & Zhou Dynasties
In this lesson, we will study the Shang and Zhou Dynasties. We will pay close attention to the founding, major accomplishments and characteristics, and decline of these dynasties.
3. Chinese Dynasties (1000-1300 CE): T'ang, Song & Ming
In this lesson, we explore three important Chinese dynasties of the Middle Ages: the T'ang, the Song, and the Ming, which all ruled for a few hundred years each between the 7th and 17th centuries C.E.
4. Japanese Military Society & Samurais in the 12th Century
In this lesson, you will explore the rise of the samurai and the Japanese military culture of the 12th century. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. Ming Dynasty Achievements: Art & Technology
In this lesson, you will explore the art and technology of the Ming dynasty as Chinese artists and engineers rediscovered their Chinese identity. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
6. India (1000-1300 CE): Dynasties & Religions
In this lesson, we explore the rise and decline of two of the more powerful dynasties that were present in the Indian subcontinent during the Middle Ages.
7. European Imperialism in China: Trades, Battles & Treaties
In this lesson, we will examine European imperialism in China. We will highlight the key themes associated with this topic, specifically the Opium Wars and the 'Open Door' Policy.
8. Japanese Imperialism: Territorial Acquisitions & Wars
In this lesson, we will learn about Japanese imperialism. We will highlight the major territorial acquisitions and the wars that expanded the Japanese Empire.
9. The Decline of Confucianism and the Republic of China
This lesson will focus on the decline of Confucianism within the Republic of China. In doing so, it will highlight the concepts of Jen and filial piety. It will also explore the role of and the influence of the Three Principles of the People.
10. Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels: The Communist Manifesto
This lesson will explore the 19th century roots of Marxism and communism. In doing this, it will explain the role the Industrial Revolution played in forming the famous work of Marx and Engels, known as the Communist Manifesto.
11. The Chinese Revolution and Creation of Taiwan: History & Timeline
In this lesson we explore the long struggle between the Kuomintang and the Chinese Communist Party before, during, and after WWII, and the subsequent creation of Taiwan after the communist victory.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC History (009): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC History: Historical Research
- MTTC History: Tools for the Classroom
- MTTC History: The Stone Age
- MTTC History: The Bronze & Iron Ages
- MTTC History: Ancient Civilizations
- MTTC History: Ancient Middle East & India
- MTTC History: Foundations of Religion
- MTTC History: Hinduism
- MTTC History: Buddhism
- MTTC History: Confucianism
- MTTC History: Judaism
- MTTC History: Christianity
- MTTC History: Islam
- MTTC History: Classical Greece
- MTTC History: The Roman Republic & The Roman Empire
- MTTC History: Government & Culture in the Middle Ages
- MTTC History: War, Revolution & Culture in France & England
- MTTC History: European Renaissance & Reformation
- MTTC History: African Cultures Before European Colonization
- MTTC History: Exploration & Colonization of the Americas
- MTTC History: Revolution & War in the Americas
- MTTC History: Revolution & Independence in Europe
- MTTC History: The Industrial Revolution & Enlightenment
- MTTC History: Germany During the World Wars
- MTTC History: The World Wars
- MTTC History: The Cold War
- MTTC History: Pre-Columbian North America
- MTTC History: Early North American Settlements
- MTTC History: Road to the American Revolution
- MTTC History: The American Revolution
- MTTC History: Ratification of the U.S. Constitution
- MTTC History: The Virginia Dynasty
- MTTC History: Jacksonian Democracy
- MTTC History: Manifest Destiny
- MTTC History: The American Civil War
- MTTC History: American Reconstruction
- MTTC History: Industrialization & Urbanization in the U.S.
- MTTC History: The Progressive Era
- MTTC History: American Imperialism
- MTTC History: The Roaring 20s in the U.S.
- MTTC History: The Great Depression in the U.S.
- MTTC History: World War II
- MTTC History: The Cold War & U.S. Politics
- MTTC History: Protests, Activism & Civil Rights
- MTTC History: America in the 1970s
- MTTC History: Contemporary American Presidents
- MTTC History: Introduction to Geography
- MTTC History: Spatial Processes
- MTTC History: Geography Tools
- MTTC History: The Dispersal of Humans & Culture
- MTTC History: Human Settlement Patterns
- MTTC History: Population & the Environment
- MTTC History: Ethnicity & Geography
- MTTC History: Geography of Languages, Religions & Material Culture
- MTTC History: Basics of Political Science
- MTTC History: American Government Overview
- MTTC History: Constitutional Democracy in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Federalism in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Political Ideologies & Philosophy
- MTTC History: American Political Culture, Opinion & Behavior
- MTTC History: Civil Liberties in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Civil Rights in the U.S.
- MTTC History: U.S. Political Parties
- MTTC History: U.S. Electoral Systems
- MTTC History: Interest Groups & American Democracy
- MTTC History: Federal Bureaucracy in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Types of Legislatures in Government
- MTTC History: The American Presidency
- MTTC History: The American Congress
- MTTC History: The Federal Judicial System
- MTTC History: Introduction to Economics
- MTTC History: Scarcity, Choice & the Production Possibilities Curve
- MTTC History: Demand, Supply & Market Equilibrium
- MTTC History: Aggregate Demand & Supply
- MTTC History: Measuring the Economy
- MTTC History: Federal Government & the American Economy
- MTTC History: Inflation Measurement & Adjustment
- MTTC History: Understanding Unemployment
- MTTC History: Inflation & Unemployment
- MTTC History: Macroeconomic Equilibrium
- MTTC History: Money, Banking & Financial Markets
- MTTC History: Central Bank & the Money Supply
- MTTC History: Fiscal & Monetary Policies
- MTTC History: Foreign Exchange & the Balance of Payments
- MTTC History: Democratic Values & Society
- MTTC History Flashcards