About This Chapter
MTTC History: European Renaissance and Reformation
The lessons in this chapter can help you understand all about the periods in world history known as the Renaissance and Reformation. You will need to know this information in preparation for the MTTC History exam. The videos review the following topics to help you get ready:
- The Italian Renaissance and the transformation of Italy
- The role of humanism during the Renaissance
- Renaissance art
- Martin Luther and the Protestant Reformation
- The spread of the Reformation throughout Europe
- Art during the Protestant Reformation
- The Reformation and the Catholic church
- Machiavelli and the Italian wars
- The impact of Zwingli and Calvin
Our experienced instructors cover all the details of these important historical periods. By using the video lessons and quizzes you will be able to identify critical points and supporting information as you enjoy learning about the European Renaissance and Reformation periods.
Objectives of the MTTC History: European Renaissance and Reformation Chapter
The MTTC History exam is required for individuals seeking history teacher certification in the state of Michigan. The topics in this European Renaissance and Reformation chapter fall within the world history section of the exam, which makes p 33% of the test questions. By completing the self-assessment quizzes, you will get a good idea of the kinds of questions the actual test is likely to ask.
The MTTC History exam consists of 100 multiple-choice test items. You may take the exam in a paper-and-pencil or a computer-based format, as you prefer. Either way, you will read a passage or question that will be followed by several possible answers, only one of which will be the correct answer.
1. The Italian Renaissance and Italy's Transformation
This lesson will discuss the three main reasons why Italy transformed from a group of competing city-states to the home of the birth of the Renaissance.
2. Humanism in the Renaissance: Recognizing the Beauty of the Individual
In this lesson, we will be discussing how humanism changed the idea of the individual from something sinful and controlled by the Church into something of great beauty and worth.
3. Renaissance Art: Artists, Paintings, Sculptures & Architecture
In this lesson, we will be discussing Renaissance art, focusing primarily on paintings, sculptures, and architecture. We will also be learning how humanism affected the art of this time period.
4. Martin Luther, the 95 Theses and the Birth of the Protestant Reformation
This lesson covers the start of the Protestant Reformation. It begins by comparing the vast array and peacefulness of Christian denominations in modern days to the limited choices and violence of the past. Then it goes into the story of Martin Luther, from his 95 Theses through the Diet of Worms up to the beginning of the German Peasant Revolt.
5. The Spread of the Protestant Reformation Across Europe
In the 16th century, Martin Luther inspired people to believe that the Catholic Church shouldn't hold authority over laypeople. This lesson explores the spread of these Protestant ideas throughout Europe.
6. Art in the Protestant Reformation: Albrecht Durer & Northern European Artists
The Protestant Reformation introduced some pretty substantial changes into European society. In this lesson, we'll be talking about some of the impacts it had on the art of Northern Europe.
7. The Reformers & the Catholic Church: How Religious Beliefs Transformed During the Reformation
The Protestant Reformation and Counter-Reformation challenged the beliefs of the Catholic Church. This lesson explores some of the differing beliefs among Protestant and Catholic reformers.
8. Machiavelli and Lessons of the Italian Wars
This lesson focuses on Machiavelli and his views on governing, specifically pertaining to the actions of rulers. It will also highlight the actions of several countries involved in the Italian Wars of the 15th and 16th centuries.
9. Ulrich Zwingli and John Calvin: History, Importance & Impact
In this lesson, we will meet two famous Reformation leaders, Ulrich Zwingli and John Calvin. We will examine their lives and their doctrines, and explore their impact on Christianity.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC History (009): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC History: Historical Research
- MTTC History: Tools for the Classroom
- MTTC History: The Stone Age
- MTTC History: The Bronze & Iron Ages
- MTTC History: Ancient Civilizations
- MTTC History: Ancient Middle East & India
- MTTC History: Early China & Japan
- MTTC History: Foundations of Religion
- MTTC History: Hinduism
- MTTC History: Buddhism
- MTTC History: Confucianism
- MTTC History: Judaism
- MTTC History: Christianity
- MTTC History: Islam
- MTTC History: Classical Greece
- MTTC History: The Roman Republic & The Roman Empire
- MTTC History: Government & Culture in the Middle Ages
- MTTC History: War, Revolution & Culture in France & England
- MTTC History: African Cultures Before European Colonization
- MTTC History: Exploration & Colonization of the Americas
- MTTC History: Revolution & War in the Americas
- MTTC History: Revolution & Independence in Europe
- MTTC History: The Industrial Revolution & Enlightenment
- MTTC History: Germany During the World Wars
- MTTC History: The World Wars
- MTTC History: The Cold War
- MTTC History: Pre-Columbian North America
- MTTC History: Early North American Settlements
- MTTC History: Road to the American Revolution
- MTTC History: The American Revolution
- MTTC History: Ratification of the U.S. Constitution
- MTTC History: The Virginia Dynasty
- MTTC History: Jacksonian Democracy
- MTTC History: Manifest Destiny
- MTTC History: The American Civil War
- MTTC History: American Reconstruction
- MTTC History: Industrialization & Urbanization in the U.S.
- MTTC History: The Progressive Era
- MTTC History: American Imperialism
- MTTC History: The Roaring 20s in the U.S.
- MTTC History: The Great Depression in the U.S.
- MTTC History: World War II
- MTTC History: The Cold War & U.S. Politics
- MTTC History: Protests, Activism & Civil Rights
- MTTC History: America in the 1970s
- MTTC History: Contemporary American Presidents
- MTTC History: Introduction to Geography
- MTTC History: Spatial Processes
- MTTC History: Geography Tools
- MTTC History: The Dispersal of Humans & Culture
- MTTC History: Human Settlement Patterns
- MTTC History: Population & the Environment
- MTTC History: Ethnicity & Geography
- MTTC History: Geography of Languages, Religions & Material Culture
- MTTC History: Basics of Political Science
- MTTC History: American Government Overview
- MTTC History: Constitutional Democracy in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Federalism in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Political Ideologies & Philosophy
- MTTC History: American Political Culture, Opinion & Behavior
- MTTC History: Civil Liberties in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Civil Rights in the U.S.
- MTTC History: U.S. Political Parties
- MTTC History: U.S. Electoral Systems
- MTTC History: Interest Groups & American Democracy
- MTTC History: Federal Bureaucracy in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Types of Legislatures in Government
- MTTC History: The American Presidency
- MTTC History: The American Congress
- MTTC History: The Federal Judicial System
- MTTC History: Introduction to Economics
- MTTC History: Scarcity, Choice & the Production Possibilities Curve
- MTTC History: Demand, Supply & Market Equilibrium
- MTTC History: Aggregate Demand & Supply
- MTTC History: Measuring the Economy
- MTTC History: Federal Government & the American Economy
- MTTC History: Inflation Measurement & Adjustment
- MTTC History: Understanding Unemployment
- MTTC History: Inflation & Unemployment
- MTTC History: Macroeconomic Equilibrium
- MTTC History: Money, Banking & Financial Markets
- MTTC History: Central Bank & the Money Supply
- MTTC History: Fiscal & Monetary Policies
- MTTC History: Foreign Exchange & the Balance of Payments
- MTTC History: Democratic Values & Society
- MTTC History Flashcards