About This Chapter
MTTC History: Foreign Exchange and the Balance of Payments - Chapter Summary
Learn new info or review foreign exchange and balance of payments concepts quickly with these fun and fast videos. Your preparation for the MTTC History exam is easy with the short video lessons in this chapter that help refresh your memory on such concepts as:
- Supply and demand for currency
- Use of exchange rates across countries
- Effects of changes in the exchange rate
- Fiscal and monetary policies' influence on the exchange rate
- How imports and exports are affected by currency changes
- Methods for measuring foreign trade and trade deficits
- Trade deficits and financial accounts
You'll be ready for the exam in no time if you use our lessons to prepare. A transcript is available with each video, making it easy to find key terms or review something you missed the first time around. You can re-watch videos as often as you want or use the video tags to find and review main points of a video as you prepare for the exam.
Objectives of the MTTC History: Foreign Exchange and the Balance of Payments Chapter
The goal of the MTTC History exam is to gauge your comprehension of critical history topics in order to become a licensed history teacher in Michigan. This exam is made up entirely of multiple-choice questions covering several areas of history, politics and economics. About 24% of the exam questions are found in the interdisciplinary perspectives section, which is where you'll be asked about foreign exchange and the balance of payments.
You might be asked to read a passage and respond to a question about it or to select an answer from a series of responses about a specific statement or question. Our self-assessment quizzes can help you get comfortable with the format of the exam's questions while preparing you for the content you'll be tested on.
1. Foreign Currency Exchange: Supply and Demand for Currency
In this lesson, you'll learn why money from different countries has different values of exchange. We'll cover the supply and demand for currencies and how changes in supply and demand can affect the exchange rates between currencies.
2. Exchange Rate: Determination and Conversion Across Countries
Understand what exchange rates are and the different types that can be used by governments and countries. See how they operate and how the conversion process works across countries.
3. Currency Appreciation & Depreciation: Effects of Exchange Rate Changes
Find out how changes in the exchange rate can affect the economy and your own individual situation. Discover how these currency changes can increase and decrease your purchasing power and standard of living.
4. How Fiscal and Monetary Policies Affect the Exchange Rate
Discover how fiscal and monetary policy can affect the exchange rate and ultimately the amount of money it costs you to buy goods and services. Find out the three paths that both fiscal and monetary policy can travel to impact the exchange rate.
5. How Currency Changes Affect Imports and Exports
Learn about how currency changes can affect imports and exports. Find out how this affects you. Discover what happens when a dollar is strong compared to other currencies and what happens when it is weak.
6. Achieving Trade Balance: Trade Deficit and Surplus Examples
Find out what trade balance, trade deficit, and trade surplus are. Learn about some recent examples that help clarify trade deficit and surplus. Explore what countries have a surplus and what countries have a deficit.
7. Balance of Payments: Current Account & Measuring Foreign Trade
Find out what the current account is and the four main foreign trade components that it is comprised of. Similar to your bank account, learn how the current account is measured and what a deficit and surplus mean when talking about this economic indicator.
8. Balance of Payments with Financial Accounts: Measuring Foreign Trade
Learn about the balance of payments and the two key components that make it up. Discover what the financial/capital account is and how it relates to foreign trade and surpluses and deficits.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC History (009): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC History: Historical Research
- MTTC History: Tools for the Classroom
- MTTC History: The Stone Age
- MTTC History: The Bronze & Iron Ages
- MTTC History: Ancient Civilizations
- MTTC History: Ancient Middle East & India
- MTTC History: Early China & Japan
- MTTC History: Foundations of Religion
- MTTC History: Hinduism
- MTTC History: Buddhism
- MTTC History: Confucianism
- MTTC History: Judaism
- MTTC History: Christianity
- MTTC History: Islam
- MTTC History: Classical Greece
- MTTC History: The Roman Republic & The Roman Empire
- MTTC History: Government & Culture in the Middle Ages
- MTTC History: War, Revolution & Culture in France & England
- MTTC History: European Renaissance & Reformation
- MTTC History: African Cultures Before European Colonization
- MTTC History: Exploration & Colonization of the Americas
- MTTC History: Revolution & War in the Americas
- MTTC History: Revolution & Independence in Europe
- MTTC History: The Industrial Revolution & Enlightenment
- MTTC History: Germany During the World Wars
- MTTC History: The World Wars
- MTTC History: The Cold War
- MTTC History: Pre-Columbian North America
- MTTC History: Early North American Settlements
- MTTC History: Road to the American Revolution
- MTTC History: The American Revolution
- MTTC History: Ratification of the U.S. Constitution
- MTTC History: The Virginia Dynasty
- MTTC History: Jacksonian Democracy
- MTTC History: Manifest Destiny
- MTTC History: The American Civil War
- MTTC History: American Reconstruction
- MTTC History: Industrialization & Urbanization in the U.S.
- MTTC History: The Progressive Era
- MTTC History: American Imperialism
- MTTC History: The Roaring 20s in the U.S.
- MTTC History: The Great Depression in the U.S.
- MTTC History: World War II
- MTTC History: The Cold War & U.S. Politics
- MTTC History: Protests, Activism & Civil Rights
- MTTC History: America in the 1970s
- MTTC History: Contemporary American Presidents
- MTTC History: Introduction to Geography
- MTTC History: Spatial Processes
- MTTC History: Geography Tools
- MTTC History: The Dispersal of Humans & Culture
- MTTC History: Human Settlement Patterns
- MTTC History: Population & the Environment
- MTTC History: Ethnicity & Geography
- MTTC History: Geography of Languages, Religions & Material Culture
- MTTC History: Basics of Political Science
- MTTC History: American Government Overview
- MTTC History: Constitutional Democracy in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Federalism in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Political Ideologies & Philosophy
- MTTC History: American Political Culture, Opinion & Behavior
- MTTC History: Civil Liberties in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Civil Rights in the U.S.
- MTTC History: U.S. Political Parties
- MTTC History: U.S. Electoral Systems
- MTTC History: Interest Groups & American Democracy
- MTTC History: Federal Bureaucracy in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Types of Legislatures in Government
- MTTC History: The American Presidency
- MTTC History: The American Congress
- MTTC History: The Federal Judicial System
- MTTC History: Introduction to Economics
- MTTC History: Scarcity, Choice & the Production Possibilities Curve
- MTTC History: Demand, Supply & Market Equilibrium
- MTTC History: Aggregate Demand & Supply
- MTTC History: Measuring the Economy
- MTTC History: Federal Government & the American Economy
- MTTC History: Inflation Measurement & Adjustment
- MTTC History: Understanding Unemployment
- MTTC History: Inflation & Unemployment
- MTTC History: Macroeconomic Equilibrium
- MTTC History: Money, Banking & Financial Markets
- MTTC History: Central Bank & the Money Supply
- MTTC History: Fiscal & Monetary Policies
- MTTC History: Democratic Values & Society
- MTTC History Flashcards