About This Chapter
MTTC History: The Industrial Revolution and the Enlightenment - Chapter Summary
Let our instructors walk you through a review of the events of the Industrial Revolution and ideas of the Enlightenment while you get ready for the MTTC History exam. You'll quickly get up to speed on all the essential elements associated with this period, including:
- Scientific Revolution's effects
- Growth of the Industrial Revolution and its impact
- Innovations that emerged in Europe and the U.S.
- Urbanization and social and economic impacts of the Industrial Revolution
- Working class ideologies and growth
- Enlightenment's roots, thinkers and ideas
- Scientific discoveries of the Enlightenment
- The Enlightenment's influence on democratic thought
These lessons break out larger concepts into easily digestible chunks, giving you just the info you need to get ready for the exam. Dynamic animations and graphics make learning or reviewing this material for the MTTC History exam fun and easy.
Objectives of the MTTC History: The Industrial Revolution and the Enlightenment Chapter
Michigan requires the MTTC History exam as part of the licensing process for history teachers. It is designed to gauge your comprehension of history topics and readiness to teach these concepts in the classroom. You'll find 100 multiple-choice questions on this exam, including those that require you to read a passage or look at a map then select the best answer from a list. You can prepare for the format of these questions, along with the content, by taking the self-assessment quizzes that come with our lessons.
The exam has four subareas, including one in world history, which is where you'll find questions about the Industrial Revolution and Enlightenment. World history questions make up about 33% of the total exam questions.
1. Effects of the Scientific Revolution
In this lesson, we explore the philosophical, religious, and cultural effects of the Scientific Revolution on Early Modern society - effects that forever changed the Western view of the universe and humanity's place within it.
2. The Industrial Revolution (1750-1850): Growth & Impact
This lesson will introduce the First Industrial Revolution. We will study the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, some of its major impacts, and its spread throughout the world.
3. The Industrial Revolution in Europe and the U.S.: Events & Innovations
This lesson examines the Industrial Revolution in Europe and the United States. We will highlight key developments and innovations and explore how the Industrial Revolution transformed society.
4. Urbanization & Other Effects of the Industrial Revolution: Social & Economic Impacts
The Industrial Revolution had a lasting effect on class structure, urbanization and lifestyle. In this lesson, we will learn how the Industrial Revolution changed various aspects of European society.
5. The Working-Class During the Industrial Revolution: Growth & Ideologies
In this lesson, we will meet the workers of the Industrial Revolution. We will examine the conditions under which they worked and lived, and we will learn about a few attempts to improve their situation.
6. The Roots of the Enlightenment
In this lesson, we will learn about the roots of the Enlightenment. We will learn when and how the Enlightenment began, and we will identify the central themes associated with its beginning.
7. The Enlightenment Thinkers & Their Ideas
In this lesson, we discuss the varied and diverse 18th-century intellectual movement known as the Enlightenment. In addition to exploring its background and nature, we highlight several of the era's chief philosophers and their ideas.
8. Science During the Enlightenment Period: Innovations, Discoveries & Major Figures
In this lesson, we will learn about the Scientific Revolution that preceded the Enlightenment. We will highlight the major themes, innovations, discoveries, and figures associated with this revolution in science.
9. Influence of the Enlightenment on Democratic Thought
In this lesson, we will learn about the impact the Enlightenment has had upon democracy. We will see how the Enlightenment helped shape modern democratic thinking.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC History (009): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC History: Historical Research
- MTTC History: Tools for the Classroom
- MTTC History: The Stone Age
- MTTC History: The Bronze & Iron Ages
- MTTC History: Ancient Civilizations
- MTTC History: Ancient Middle East & India
- MTTC History: Early China & Japan
- MTTC History: Foundations of Religion
- MTTC History: Hinduism
- MTTC History: Buddhism
- MTTC History: Confucianism
- MTTC History: Judaism
- MTTC History: Christianity
- MTTC History: Islam
- MTTC History: Classical Greece
- MTTC History: The Roman Republic & The Roman Empire
- MTTC History: Government & Culture in the Middle Ages
- MTTC History: War, Revolution & Culture in France & England
- MTTC History: European Renaissance & Reformation
- MTTC History: African Cultures Before European Colonization
- MTTC History: Exploration & Colonization of the Americas
- MTTC History: Revolution & War in the Americas
- MTTC History: Revolution & Independence in Europe
- MTTC History: Germany During the World Wars
- MTTC History: The World Wars
- MTTC History: The Cold War
- MTTC History: Pre-Columbian North America
- MTTC History: Early North American Settlements
- MTTC History: Road to the American Revolution
- MTTC History: The American Revolution
- MTTC History: Ratification of the U.S. Constitution
- MTTC History: The Virginia Dynasty
- MTTC History: Jacksonian Democracy
- MTTC History: Manifest Destiny
- MTTC History: The American Civil War
- MTTC History: American Reconstruction
- MTTC History: Industrialization & Urbanization in the U.S.
- MTTC History: The Progressive Era
- MTTC History: American Imperialism
- MTTC History: The Roaring 20s in the U.S.
- MTTC History: The Great Depression in the U.S.
- MTTC History: World War II
- MTTC History: The Cold War & U.S. Politics
- MTTC History: Protests, Activism & Civil Rights
- MTTC History: America in the 1970s
- MTTC History: Contemporary American Presidents
- MTTC History: Introduction to Geography
- MTTC History: Spatial Processes
- MTTC History: Geography Tools
- MTTC History: The Dispersal of Humans & Culture
- MTTC History: Human Settlement Patterns
- MTTC History: Population & the Environment
- MTTC History: Ethnicity & Geography
- MTTC History: Geography of Languages, Religions & Material Culture
- MTTC History: Basics of Political Science
- MTTC History: American Government Overview
- MTTC History: Constitutional Democracy in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Federalism in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Political Ideologies & Philosophy
- MTTC History: American Political Culture, Opinion & Behavior
- MTTC History: Civil Liberties in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Civil Rights in the U.S.
- MTTC History: U.S. Political Parties
- MTTC History: U.S. Electoral Systems
- MTTC History: Interest Groups & American Democracy
- MTTC History: Federal Bureaucracy in the U.S.
- MTTC History: Types of Legislatures in Government
- MTTC History: The American Presidency
- MTTC History: The American Congress
- MTTC History: The Federal Judicial System
- MTTC History: Introduction to Economics
- MTTC History: Scarcity, Choice & the Production Possibilities Curve
- MTTC History: Demand, Supply & Market Equilibrium
- MTTC History: Aggregate Demand & Supply
- MTTC History: Measuring the Economy
- MTTC History: Federal Government & the American Economy
- MTTC History: Inflation Measurement & Adjustment
- MTTC History: Understanding Unemployment
- MTTC History: Inflation & Unemployment
- MTTC History: Macroeconomic Equilibrium
- MTTC History: Money, Banking & Financial Markets
- MTTC History: Central Bank & the Money Supply
- MTTC History: Fiscal & Monetary Policies
- MTTC History: Foreign Exchange & the Balance of Payments
- MTTC History: Democratic Values & Society
- MTTC History Flashcards