About This Chapter
MTTC Marketing Education: Information Management - Chapter Summary
Information and telecommunications systems and their key components are reviewed in the lessons in the chapter. This MTTC Marketing Education refresher chapter also covers:
- Information system resources
- Client/server networks and mainframe systems
- Desktop publishing and word processing software
- Various major types of data
- Database and spreadsheet software
- Computer hardware and operating systems
- The structure of a database
- Enterprise software for business applications
- What cloud computing is
- Telecommunication systems components
Our professional instructors will refresh your memory on all of these topics as they take you through the short, engaging video lessons. The practice quizzes can also be completed to provide you with an accurate assessment of your content knowledge.
Objectives of the MTTC Marketing Education: Information Management Chapter
The MTTC Marketing Education test establishes that you have the needed expertise to be an effective teacher in Michigan. This paper-based exam's questions that revolve around the Information Management chapter appear in the Technology, Ethics and Career Development subarea. This particular subarea includes around 20 of the exam's overall 100 multiple-choice questions.
1. What Is an Information System?
Information systems are an integral part of businesses. But what, exactly, is an information system? In this lesson, we'll define information systems and then examine the three main components of an information system.
2. Information Systems Resources: Networks, Hardware, Software, Data & People
What are the resources an information system needs? Discover how networks, hardware, software, data and people work together to create usable information.
3. Cloud Computing and Databases: Technology to Improve Database Management
Cloud computing uses a network of computers to provide services that otherwise would be provided by a single computer or computer server. Learn how cloud computing works and how it allows you to use the same database on multiple devices in this video lesson.
4. Database Concepts and Structures: The Elements That Make Up a Database
Learn the fundamental elements of databases and how they are structured. One common data structure is a database table, which uses records and fields to organize data.
5. Types of Data: Text, Numbers & Multimedia
Discuss the basic types of data found in databases. These include character strings, integers, decimals, images, audio, video and other multimedia types.
6. Database and Spreadsheet Software: Excel, Access, dBase & Lotus 1-2-3
Spreadsheet software and database software are both used to organize and manipulate data. Each application has its own unique strengths. Learn about the functionality of both types of software.
7. Desktop Publishing & Word Processing Software: MS Word, InDesign & WordPerfect
Word processing software is used to manipulate text and apply a basic design to your pages. More sophisticated design can be accomplished using desktop publishing software. Learn about the functionality of these two types of application software.
8. Computer Operating Systems: Managing Hardware and Software Resources
This lesson will introduce you to computer operating systems and help you figure out the difference between application and operating system software. Also, we will learn the difference between a desktop and wallpaper.
9. What is Computer Hardware? - Components, Definition & Examples
Computer hardware is the collection of physical parts of a computer system. This includes the computer case, monitor, keyboard, and mouse. It also includes all the parts inside the computer case, such as the hard disk drive, motherboard, video card, and many others. Computer hardware is what you can physically touch.
10. Enterprise Software for Business Applications
Enterprise software gives multiple users in different locations access to the same functionality. This central system ensures that information is shared across all functional areas and levels of management within an organization.
11. The Components of a Telecommunications System
Telecommunication is communication at a distance using electrical signals or electromagnetic waves. Learn about the components and properties of telecommunication systems.
12. Client/Server and Mainframe Systems Used in Telecommunication Systems
Telecommunications are managed in a number of different ways, including peer-to-peer, client/server and mainframe systems. Learn why client/server has become the most widely used network architecture.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Marketing Education (036): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Marketing: Marketing Principles
- MTTC Marketing: Researching, Collecting & Evaluating Data
- MTTC Marketing: Strategies & Segmentation
- MTTC Marketing: Product Management
- MTTC Marketing: Pricing Strategies
- MTTC Marketing: Distribution Channels
- MTTC Marketing: The Selling Process
- MTTC Marketing: Customer Service
- MTTC Marketing: Role & Impact of Promotion
- MTTC Marketing: Merchandising
- MTTC Marketing: Economics Overview
- MTTC Marketing: The Marketing Plan
- MTTC Marketing: Financial Principles
- MTTC Marketing: Business Communication
- MTTC Marketing: International Business
- MTTC Marketing: Ethics & Social Responsibility
- MTTC Marketing: Human Resource Management
- MTTC Marketing: Human Relations & Leadership Skills
- MTTC Marketing: Education Programs
- MTTC Marketing: Professional Development
- MTTC Marketing Education Flashcards