About This Chapter
MTTC Marketing: Merchandising - Chapter Summary
Prepare for questions related to merchandising on the MTTC Marketing Education test with help from our engaging video lessons and assessment quizzes. The lessons provide a review of the following topics:
- Merchandising company activities
- Components of a merchandise inventory
- Inventory costs
- Inventory systems
- Recording purchases
- Inventory accounting
- Inventory valuation options
- Net realizable value
Each of these videos was designed by our experienced instructors to teach you merchandising principles in a fun and easy-to-remember way. After watching the videos and looking over the transcripts, see what you've learned with the included self-assessment quizzes and chapter test.
1. Merchandising Company: Definition, Activities & Income Components
Do you know what a merchandising company is? If you said it's a store, you are right. It is a store, but it is also so much more. In this lesson, we are going to discuss some of the major components of a merchandising company.
2. Items that Make Up Merchandise Inventory
In order to operate, merchandising companies must carry inventory. What exactly makes up merchandise inventory? In this lesson, you will not only learn the answer to that question, but also several other important factors that relate to merchandise inventory.
3. Inventory Cost: Definition, Methods & Types
Have you ever thought about how much it costs a business to keep inventory in stock? It's not just the price the business pays for the items that it keeps in stock. It is so much more. In this lesson, we will discuss exactly what constitutes actual inventory cost.
4. Accounting for Inventory Purchases
A merchandising company must purchase inventory, and it has to be accounted for in the accounting records. In this lesson, you will learn how to calculate inventory purchase amounts as well as how to record them in the accounting journals.
5. Perpetual and Periodic Inventory Systems
Inventory management is an important part of business success. In this lesson, we will discuss the two types of inventory systems used in accounting today.
6. Recording Purchases Using the Perpetual System
Every transaction that occurs in a business, whether it is a purchase or a sale, must be accounted for. In this lesson, you will learn how to record purchases using the perpetual inventory system.
7. Accounting for Inventory Sales
In order to operate, a business must make sales. In this lesson, we are going to discuss sales of inventory. You will learn the types of sales made, the items that affect sales profit, and the way to record sales in the accounting records.
8. Inventory Valuation Methods: Specific Identification, FIFO, LIFO & Weighted Average
This lesson introduces you to the cost flow assumption methods of specific identification: FIFO, LIFO, and weighted average. You will also learn how to compute inventory in a perpetual system using the methods of FIFO, LIFO, and weighted average.
9. Net Realizable Value of Inventory: Definition & Method
Calculating inventory value is essential for correct reporting in accounting records. In this lesson, we are going to discuss what net realizable value is and why it plays an important role in inventory valuation.
10. The Lower of Cost or Market of Inventory: Definition & Method
No matter what kind of inventory a company has, that inventory has value. In this lesson, we'll talk about valuing inventory using the lower of cost or market rule.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Marketing Education (036): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Marketing: Marketing Principles
- MTTC Marketing: Researching, Collecting & Evaluating Data
- MTTC Marketing: Strategies & Segmentation
- MTTC Marketing: Product Management
- MTTC Marketing: Pricing Strategies
- MTTC Marketing: Distribution Channels
- MTTC Marketing: The Selling Process
- MTTC Marketing: Customer Service
- MTTC Marketing: Role & Impact of Promotion
- MTTC Marketing: Economics Overview
- MTTC Marketing: The Marketing Plan
- MTTC Marketing: Financial Principles
- MTTC Marketing: Business Communication
- MTTC Marketing: International Business
- MTTC Marketing: Ethics & Social Responsibility
- MTTC Marketing: Human Resource Management
- MTTC Marketing: Human Relations & Leadership Skills
- MTTC Marketing: Information Management
- MTTC Marketing: Education Programs
- MTTC Marketing: Professional Development
- MTTC Marketing Education Flashcards