About This Chapter
MTTC Marketing: Professional Development - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our experienced instructors present multiple concepts related to career development in marketing, ranging from writing a resume and preparing for a job interview to career growth and advancement. Use these videos to review key concepts on:
- Career options in marketing
- Resumes and cover letters
- Common application mistakes
- Career assessment
- Online research tools
- Career growth and advancement
Each lesson in this chapter includes a short video lesson as well as a text transcript and multiple-choice quiz. You can test your comprehension of these marketing topics through the quizzes, and then use the embedded video tags to easily re-review any topics of the videos that need a second look.
MTTC Marketing: Professional Development Objectives
Professional development is covered within the technology, ethics and career development section of the MTTC Marketing Education exam. This section makes up 20 of the 100 questions on the test. The exam can be taken on paper or on a computer, and all questions are multiple choice.
This chapter prepares you for questions on assisting students with career planning as well as preparing for and obtaining a job in marketing. Specifically, you may encounter questions that ask you to identify the steps in applying for a job, list characteristics needed for a job in marketing or describe ways to maintain or advance a career in marketing.
1. Marketing Career Opportunities
Behind every glossy magazine ad and catchy television commercial jingle, there's a marketer working hard to grab your attention. Learn more about this lucrative career field and the wide range of jobs available.
2. How to Maximize Your Internship's Career Potential
An internship is a great opportunity to get experience in a career field. But how can you make the most of your time as an intern? In this lesson, we'll offer tips for maximizing your internship in the areas of learning, relationships and performance.
3. How to Create a Great Resume and Cover Letter
The first impression that a company has of you is your resume and cover letter. But how can you make them stand out from the crowd? Watch this lesson for tips on how to create a winning resume and cover letter.
4. Parts of Your Resume: Sections & Relevant Information
An effective resume starts with creating a 3-part summary of your qualifications: work experience, education and personal achievements. Every resume should be tailored specifically to match a job advertisement's requirements.
5. Tailoring the Content of Your Resume for a Job
A job applicant should be knowledgeable of how to tailor the content of their resume for a specific job. A custom, detailed, directed resume offers the best chance of acquiring an interview.
6. Formatting Your Resume: Layout & Distribution Types
Everyone appreciates the importance of a first impression. There are specific layout and distribution types of a resume that can create a professional, visually impressive image in the mind of the reader.
7. The Cover Letter: Importance, Details & Format
The cover letter is a necessity when applying for a job. There is a basic format that you can follow consisting of a salutation, three paragraphs and a close that can be used to get a potential employer's attention.
8. How to Avoid Common Job Application Mistakes
Applying for jobs can be a stressful time but knowing the common mistakes that people make during the application process can help lessen the stress. In this lesson, we'll look at common mistakes people make before and during a job interview.
9. How to Prepare For Your Job Interview
The job interview is an important part of the job application process. How can you make sure that you do your best? In this lesson, we'll examine ways to prepare for a job interview, including what to do before, during, and after the interview.
10. How to Avoid Job Interview Pitfalls
The job interview is an important moment for many people. But many people make mistakes that could cost them the job. In this lesson, we'll examine some common interview pitfalls and what you can do to avoid them.
11. Career Assessments: Types & Benefits
There are many career choices out there. How do you decide which one is right for you? In this lesson, we'll examine the different types of career assessments and how they can help you choose the best career.
12. Online Career Research Tools
How do you figure out what career is right for you? And, once you know, how do you find out more about that career? In this lesson, we'll look at some types of online career research tools that allow people to find out more about different careers.
13. Career vs. Job: What's the Difference?
Though people often use the terms 'career' and 'job' interchangeably, they aren't the same. In this lesson, we'll look at the difference between a career and a job, and how people should approach them differently.
14. Types of Opportunities to Grow in Your Career
Everyone wants to move forward in their careers, but how can you do that? In this lesson, we'll look at the two major types of career advancement, internal and external, and how to make the best of both.
15. How to Advance in Your Career: Process & Expectations
How do you get a promotion or move to a better job? Watch this lesson for tips and tricks to advance in your career, including how to set goals and be proactive when it comes to career success.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Marketing Education (036): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Marketing: Marketing Principles
- MTTC Marketing: Researching, Collecting & Evaluating Data
- MTTC Marketing: Strategies & Segmentation
- MTTC Marketing: Product Management
- MTTC Marketing: Pricing Strategies
- MTTC Marketing: Distribution Channels
- MTTC Marketing: The Selling Process
- MTTC Marketing: Customer Service
- MTTC Marketing: Role & Impact of Promotion
- MTTC Marketing: Merchandising
- MTTC Marketing: Economics Overview
- MTTC Marketing: The Marketing Plan
- MTTC Marketing: Financial Principles
- MTTC Marketing: Business Communication
- MTTC Marketing: International Business
- MTTC Marketing: Ethics & Social Responsibility
- MTTC Marketing: Human Resource Management
- MTTC Marketing: Human Relations & Leadership Skills
- MTTC Marketing: Information Management
- MTTC Marketing: Education Programs
- MTTC Marketing Education Flashcards