About This Chapter
MTTC Physical Education: Approaches to Student Learning - Chapter Summary
Watch these lesson videos to improve your understanding of the different theories and models behind physical education as well as how physical education can be adjusted to meet the needs of the individual student. In them, you will have the opportunity to follow along with our expert instructors as they explain:
- Different learning styles in physical education
- Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences
- Social-cognitive learning theory
- Effects of the health promotion model on health outcomes
- The transtheoretical model of behavior change and fitness
- Fitness activities for students with different physical conditions and social-cultural back grounds
- How different demographics affect individuals' physical activity
If you are short on time don't worry about watching these lessons at your desk - instead watch them whenever it's convenient for you on your internet-ready mobile devices. After these lessons, you can also reinforce your retention of the information presented by reading the lesson transcripts that follow. Test your understanding of the material by taking the lesson quizzes and practice chapter exam to ensure that you know what you need to know for the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Physical Education exam.
1. Addressing Different Learning Styles in PE Programs
Each student is unique and deserves the opportunity to approach learning in his or her own way. This lesson discusses appropriate physical education strategies and resources that address diverse learning styles.
2. What is Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences?
Which types of intelligence do you identify with? As you watch this video on Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences, you'll learn that intelligence can be a diverse concept not limited to one area.
3. Social-Cognitive Learning Theory: Definition and Examples
Have you learned behaviors or skills from observing others? Maybe you have learned from observing a teacher, friend, or supervisor. We acquire new knowledge and skills from a variety of methods. This lesson will introduce the concepts of the social-cognitive theory, which focuses on the learning that occurs within a social context.
4. What Is the Health Promotion Model? - Definition & Theory
In this lesson, you will learn about the health promotion model and its influences on health behaviors. You will also gain an understanding of the theory behind the health promotion model and how that theory affects health promotion outcomes.
5. Transtheoretical Model: Definition & Stages of Change
Did you know we go through different stages of change when breaking old habits and adopting new ones? Continue reading to learn more about these different stages and how it all relates to the transtheoretical model.
6. Accommodating Diverse Students in Physical Education Class
You're going to learn how methods of instruction, activities, rules, and equipment can be altered in order to accommodate students of different cultures, languages, and physical abilities in this lesson.
7. The Influence of Personal Background on Physical Activity
What sports do you love to play? Have you ever considered that your personal background may actually influence why you play one sport versus another? This lesson will describe how background factors influence your choices for physical activity.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Physical Education (044): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Physical Education: Fitness & Health
- MTTC Physical Education: Types of Physical Activity
- MTTC Physical Education: Body Composition
- MTTC Physical Education: Movement & Motor Skills
- MTTC Physical Education: Sports & Outdoor Activities
- MTTC Physical Education: Human Body Systems
- MTTC Physical Education: Growth & Development
- MTTC Physical Education: Influences on Growth & Development
- MTTC Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MTTC Physical Education: Assessing Fitness
- MTTC Physical Education: Program Management & Communication
- MTTC Physical Education: Individual & Group Motivation
- MTTC Physical Education: Fitness & Behavior
- MTTC Physical Education: Foundations & Collaboration
- MTTC Physical Education Flashcards