About This Chapter
MTTC Physical Education: Influences on Growth & Development - Chapter Summary
Strengthen your body of knowledge regarding human growth and development as you work through the lessons in this chapter. You will study the following topics:
- Explanation of development and maturation
- Interrelationships between health, fitness and physical development
- Factors that impact growth, development and motor development
- Effects of socialization on gender
- Influence of schools and peers on adolescents
- Role of culture in social expectations and perceptions
- Facts, statistics and issues concerning body image
Lively writing and clever presentation prevent our lessons from ever becoming dry or tedious. Instead, refreshingly engaging illustrations and well-written text keep the information fresh and interesting, while providing you with a comprehensive and useful study guide. Lesson quizzes offer practice and reinforcement, and help from our subject matter experts and highly-qualified instructors is always available.
1. What is Development? - Growth, Maturation & Learning
To many people, terms like development, growth, maturation, and learning all mean the same thing. In this lesson, we'll learn the subtle differences between each of these terms and how they apply to human life.
2. Factors Influencing Growth & Development
There are numerous factors that play various roles in our growth and development. This lesson looks at the main categories of factors and specific examples of their impact on growth and development.
3. Factors Influencing Motor Development
Understanding and supporting motor development in children plays an important role in teaching kids. This lesson will discuss gross and fine motor skills and the factors that influence their development.
4. The Impact of Socialization on Gender
The following lesson covers how boys and girls are taught how to be boys and girls and where and by whom they are taught this behavior. A short quiz will follow to check your understanding.
5. Peers, Schools, and Adolescent Development
Adolescence is a time of change for most people. In this lesson, we'll look at the changes that occur in adolescence, including why peer groups become so important to teenagers and how school affects development.
6. How Culture Influences Social Perceptions & Expectations
A large portion of our children's lives are spent consumed with media images. In some cases, the impressions that children develop about what is normal may be skewed by media sources. Let's look at the impact media has on our children.
7. What Is Body Image? - Definition, Facts, Statistics & Issues
This lesson defines body image, which refers to how people see themselves. It will also discuss the facts, statistics and issues that stem from having a positive and negative body image.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Physical Education (044): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Physical Education: Fitness & Health
- MTTC Physical Education: Types of Physical Activity
- MTTC Physical Education: Body Composition
- MTTC Physical Education: Movement & Motor Skills
- MTTC Physical Education: Sports & Outdoor Activities
- MTTC Physical Education: Human Body Systems
- MTTC Physical Education: Growth & Development
- MTTC Physical Education: Approaches to Student Learning
- MTTC Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MTTC Physical Education: Assessing Fitness
- MTTC Physical Education: Program Management & Communication
- MTTC Physical Education: Individual & Group Motivation
- MTTC Physical Education: Fitness & Behavior
- MTTC Physical Education: Foundations & Collaboration
- MTTC Physical Education Flashcards