About This Chapter
MTTC Physical Education: Planning & Instruction - Chapter Summary
Professional instructors have assembled these lessons to help you prepare for questions on the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Physical Education exam about the objectives of physical education, standards of physical education, how instruction can meet these standards and how the quality of physical education can be assessed. Review these mobile-device-compatible lesson videos about:
- Physical education standards and how physical education programs are assessed
- How to select physical activities that are age-appropriate and culturally-responsive
- The role of the teacher in physical education programs
- Designing and implementing individualized fitness plans and physical education lessons
- Interdisciplinary instruction and linking physical activity to improve learning performance
- Preventing and treating injuries from physical activities
- Advantages of using cooperative and collaborative learning strategies
- Difference between direct instruction and discovery instruction
To reinforce your retention of the information presented in these lessons, read the lesson transcripts after watching these videos. Then test your understanding of the material by taking the lesson quizzes. You can easily return to and study the parts of the lessons that explain the topics you missed. Once you've completed the lessons and quizzes in this chapter, take the practice chapter exam to see how well you know what you should about physical education instruction for the MTTC Physical Education exam.
1. Designing PE Programs Based on National & State Standards
This lesson will teach you how to design effective standardized physical education programs. It'll guide you through the process of backwards planning and evaluating to create the depth and order of the content.
2. Analyzing Physical Education Lesson Plans
Teachers need to keep several aspects in mind when designing lessons, like skill level and purpose. This lesson describes necessary components of physical education lesson plans and details what aspects to include.
3. Age-Appropriate Physical Education Activities & Instruction
Physical education is an important aspect of a child's coordination and development, and it helps students engage in exercise. Use this lesson to understand how to tailor activities to each child's developmental level.
4. The Teacher's Role in Elementary & Secondary Physical Education
In this lesson you will learn about the role that elementary and secondary level classroom teachers play in physical education. You will also learn how teachers can incorporate physical education into the classroom.
5. Designing & Implementing Individualized Fitness Plans
In this lesson, you will learn ways to design and implement individualized fitness plans. You will learn how to initially check your fitness level, preview a sample plan, and set goals and stick with them as you become healthier.
6. Methods for Teaching Physical Education Lessons
Do you recall the sometimes fun and other times exasperating days of physical education class? In this lesson, we discuss various methods for teaching physical education lessons.
7. How to Link Physical Activity to Learning & Performance
In this lesson we discuss physical activity and its relationship to both learning and performance. We also describe how the brain actually benefits from exercise, and we review several activities to incorporate fitness into the classroom setting.
8. Effective Lesson Plans: Characteristics & Elements
Writing lesson plans can be an overwhelming task at times. This lesson provides a guide to effective lesson planning. Learn about techniques, examples, and how to build a plan that benefits the educator and students.
9. Culturally Responsive Teaching (CRT): Theory, Research & Strategies
A person's culture can impact their approach to education and the way they learn. In this lesson, we'll examine culturally responsive teaching, a teaching method that takes into account students' cultures to help them succeed.
10. Preventing & Treating Fitness Injuries
Injuries are a risk whenever you start a fitness program. Learn about ways to prevent common injuries, such as sprains and strains, as well as how to treat them using the RICE method, which stands for rest, ice, compress and elevate, in this lesson.
11. Cooperative and Collaborative Learning in the Classroom
It's extremely common for teachers to require students to work in groups. However, certain types of groups and activities are preferred over others. In this lesson, we define cooperative learning and discuss its advantages in the classroom. We also define collaborative learning and explain how it is different than cooperative learning.
12. Direct Instruction & Discovery Instruction: Definition & Differences
Two of the most popular teaching strategies are direct instruction and discovery instruction, which are frequently discussed in contrast with each other. In this lesson, we define each type of instruction and discuss the differences between the two.
13. How to Integrate Knowledge & Skills From Multiple Subjects in Physical Education
In this lesson, we will learn some specific ways that teachers can integrate other content areas, specifically English language arts and mathematics, into physical education instruction.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Physical Education (044): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Physical Education: Fitness & Health
- MTTC Physical Education: Types of Physical Activity
- MTTC Physical Education: Body Composition
- MTTC Physical Education: Movement & Motor Skills
- MTTC Physical Education: Sports & Outdoor Activities
- MTTC Physical Education: Human Body Systems
- MTTC Physical Education: Growth & Development
- MTTC Physical Education: Influences on Growth & Development
- MTTC Physical Education: Approaches to Student Learning
- MTTC Physical Education: Assessing Fitness
- MTTC Physical Education: Program Management & Communication
- MTTC Physical Education: Individual & Group Motivation
- MTTC Physical Education: Fitness & Behavior
- MTTC Physical Education: Foundations & Collaboration
- MTTC Physical Education Flashcards