About This Chapter
MTTC Physical Education: Sports and Outdoor Activities - Chapter Summary
Take the first step toward a career in physical education instruction by acing questions on the MTTC Physical Education examination. This chapter's lessons are designed to help learners develop effective strategies for teaching sports and outdoor activities. For example, you'll find lessons that focus on the fundamentals of softball, swimming, volleyball and soccer. When you finish this chapter, you could have the skills and knowledge necessary to:
- Promote the acquisition of lifelong sports and gymnastics skills
- Master track and field instructional strategies
- Understand the mechanics required to build swimming abilities
- Explain the rules of racquet sports, volleyball, basketball, soccer, football, softball and floor hockey
- Organize elementary and cooperative games, group challenges and sports programs
- Effectively plan adventure activities
- Introduce recreational and water-based outdoor activities
This online chapter is split into several text lessons that are supposed to be studied at a comfortable pace. They are divided by main topics and often include definitions of bold terms. The self-assessment quizzes consist of four or five questions. Take these and the practice chapter examination when you want to determine how ready you are for the related questions on the MTTC Physical Education examination.
1. Developing Lifelong Sports Skills
You want to encourage students to develop sports skills that will last them a lifetime. What are the principles, techniques and organizational strategies that will help you do that? This lesson fills you in and gives you some ideas to promote lifelong sports skills.
2. How to Develop Gymnastics Skills
In this lesson we examine different ways to develop both women's and men's gymnastic skills. We will also discuss the crucial role diet and nutrition play in attaining these said skills.
3. Track & Field Skills & Techniques
This lesson will review many of the techniques used in the track and field world to improve athletic performance. The techniques include ways to enhance breathing, sleep, and mental toughness. The lesson also includes physical training methods.
4. Swimming Skills & Biomechanics
Whether you are new to swimming or have a lot of experience, there is always something else to learn about the sport. This lesson contains progressions for beginning through intermediate skill levels for both sports.
5. Developing Racquet Sport Skills
In this lesson we review skills, techniques, equipment, activities, and safety practices for developing racquet sport skills. Racquet sports include six major games, which are badminton, pickleball, racquetball, squash, table tennis, and tennis.
6. Volleyball Skills
You may have played volleyball at the last church social, but if you want to be more competitive at the sport you will need to learn and practice the five basic volleyball shots. This lesson describes the shots you will need to know to be the king of the court.
7. Basketball Skills, Activities & Safety
Who hasn't been impressed by basketball greats like Magic Johnson and Larry Bird? In this lesson, we'll define the different offensive and defensive basketball skills and highlight activities to improve them, as well as review safety practices. We'll also delve into the mental side of the sport.
8. Basic Soccer Skills
Successful soccer players must master a number of basic skills, including dribbling, kicking, and trapping the ball. In this lesson, you'll learn how to effectively control and move a soccer ball around the field, as well as the techniques involved in defending the goal.
9. How to Develop Football Skills
In this lesson we encompass the various methods for developing football skills. We also discuss the ever-changing role of injury and concussion prevention that is occurring along with an overview of crucial nutrition.
10. Basic Softball Skills
First time playing softball? Don't really know what you've gotten yourself into? No worries! This lesson describes the basic skills you will need to play the game.
11. Fundamental Floor Hockey Skills
To the everyday viewer, floor hockey is entertaining and full of action. However, there's a lot more than meets the eye when it comes to participating in this game. Many key fundamental skills come into play to safely and successfully compete.
12. Developing Sport & Game Skills in an Elementary Program
In this lesson, we discuss ways to develop both game and sports skills in an elementary school program, including advice on equipment and safety practices.
13. Cooperative Games & Group Challenges
Learn how to set up cooperative games and activities in a way that sets you and your group up for success. This lesson covers rules, safety practices, equipment, and more.
14. Adventure Activities: Planning & Safety
In this lesson, you will review how to plan an adventure activity and prepare for safety. You will learn about the necessary equipment to take along on your adventure. We will also discuss the issues of permits and insurance, and you will learn about crucial first aid tips.
15. How to Expose Students to Outdoor Activities
Outdoor recreation and activities offer a unique learning environment for students to learn about themselves and to form stronger social ties with their classmates. This lesson goes over methods to introduce children to these activities.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Physical Education (044): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Physical Education: Fitness & Health
- MTTC Physical Education: Types of Physical Activity
- MTTC Physical Education: Body Composition
- MTTC Physical Education: Movement & Motor Skills
- MTTC Physical Education: Human Body Systems
- MTTC Physical Education: Growth & Development
- MTTC Physical Education: Influences on Growth & Development
- MTTC Physical Education: Approaches to Student Learning
- MTTC Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MTTC Physical Education: Assessing Fitness
- MTTC Physical Education: Program Management & Communication
- MTTC Physical Education: Individual & Group Motivation
- MTTC Physical Education: Fitness & Behavior
- MTTC Physical Education: Foundations & Collaboration
- MTTC Physical Education Flashcards