About This Chapter
MTTC Physical Education: Types of Physical Activity - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter to brush up on ways to increase muscular endurance and strength and assess your understanding of the ways to maintain flexibility. Together, this chapter lessons and quizzes will assist you in your preparation to answer MTTC Physical Education exam questions about the following:
- Aerobic, strength and muscular endurance
- Cardio respiratory activities
- Methods for evaluating fitness
- Strength and muscular endurance activities
- Activities for developing, assessing and improving flexibility
- Safety and stretching
- Equipment selection
- Importance of warm-up and cool-down exercises
Our experts and instructors are happy to answer any questions that may come up while you are moving through the chapter. You can watch the whole 5-10 minute video or just review certain parts of the video lessons by using the timeline feature. There are also video transcripts that contain vocabulary words that are printed in bold print for quick review.
MTTC Physical Education: Types of Physical Activity Chapter Objectives
All of the lessons and quizzes in this chapter connect to the Physical Activity, Fitness, and Health subject area of the MTTC Physical Education exam. This subject area makes up 17% of the whole exam. The MTTC Physical Education test is taken by individuals seeking a certification to teach physical education in Michigan.
This test includes 100 multiple-choice questions and is provided in both computer and paper formats. The test may contain questions that will ask you to show your understanding of the connection between physical activity and health and ways to increase cardio endurance, muscular strength, and flexibility. Prepare for these questions with the engaging videos and interactive quizzes in this chapter.
1. Developing Aerobic Endurance
What is aerobic endurance, and how do you increase this metric that is beneficial for so many sports? This lesson describes its basic principles and outlines how to develop skills and ensure safety while practicing.
2. Cardiorespiratory Fitness Activities for Various Levels
Cardiorespiratory fitness is important at all ages and at all levels of development. This lesson will explore the many different types of fitness activities for various levels of fitness. We will end with a brief quiz to test what you have learned.
3. Assessing Cardiorespiratory Fitness: Techniques & Resources
In this lesson we review ways to assess cardiorespiratory fitness. We describe the resources and techniques utilized to perform these tests and monitor endurance levels. We also elaborate on self-assessment techniques as well.
4. Developing Strength & Muscle Endurance
In this lesson we review ways to develop both strength and muscle endurance. We discuss principles and processes for achieving these skills and physiological goals along with crucial safety practices as well.
5. Activities for Building Strength & Muscular Endurance
Workout fads come and go. New ways to lose weight and gain strength are always being touted as the latest, greatest thing. Most are gimmicky and expensive. There are many things that you can do at home or with limited gym equipment to build strength and muscular endurance.
6. Assessing Strength & Muscular Endurance
In this lesson, we assess both strength and muscular endurance. We review both resources and accompanying techniques for the assessments, including self-monitoring. We also discuss the safety of specific exercises and equipment.
7. Developing Flexibility: Principles & Skills
In this lesson, we will tackle two questions: Why do I need flexibility? How do I gain flexibility? Stretching and flexibility help us stay limber, remain injury free, improve performance, and generally achieve better health and wellness.
8. Activities for Improving Flexibility
Flexibility is important not just to athletes but to our everyday lives as well. In this lesson, you'll learn what flexibility is, as well as certain things you can do to help improve your flexibility no matter how old you are.
9. Assessing Flexibility: Techniques, Resources & Self-Assessment
In this lesson, we assess flexibility and discuss resources and techniques for doing so. We also review methodologies for self-assessment. We elaborate on seven of the most popular tests that are available to measure flexibility.
10. Safety Considerations for Static & Dynamic Stretching
In this lesson, we'll decipher the difference between static and dynamic stretching. We'll go over some important items that need to be thought about in terms of safety for both forms of stretching, as well as some steps on how to perform these stretches with a few quick pointers.
11. Warm-Up & Cool-Down Exercises
This lesson will discuss warm-up and cool-down exercises for cardio, flexibility, and strength training workouts. We will examine the importance of warming up before exercising and cooling down afterwards to prevent injuries.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Physical Education (044): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Physical Education: Fitness & Health
- MTTC Physical Education: Body Composition
- MTTC Physical Education: Movement & Motor Skills
- MTTC Physical Education: Sports & Outdoor Activities
- MTTC Physical Education: Human Body Systems
- MTTC Physical Education: Growth & Development
- MTTC Physical Education: Influences on Growth & Development
- MTTC Physical Education: Approaches to Student Learning
- MTTC Physical Education: Planning & Instruction
- MTTC Physical Education: Assessing Fitness
- MTTC Physical Education: Program Management & Communication
- MTTC Physical Education: Individual & Group Motivation
- MTTC Physical Education: Fitness & Behavior
- MTTC Physical Education: Foundations & Collaboration
- MTTC Physical Education Flashcards