About This Chapter
MTTC Psychology: Cognitive Development- Chapter Summary
Let the lessons in this chapter help you learn about cognition and cognitive development as you get ready for the MTTC Psychology exam. Our video lessons and self-assessment quizzes teach you about these topics and prepare you to do the following:
- Define attention as part of cognitive development
- Identify stages of information processing
- Explain how play is important in a child's cognitive development
- Outline object permanence and sensorimotor periods
- Discuss cognitive development in children and adolescents
- Analyze Vygotsky's theory of cognitive development
These video lessons, led by experts in the field, present the information on cognitive development that you'll need to know on the MTTC Psychology exam. You'll enjoy watching the lessons and taking the quizzes that supplement them.
1. Attention as Part of Cognitive Development: Definition & Process
We pay attention in various ways, every day. In this lesson, we will look into the four types of attention we consistently use and look at how attention spans change throughout a lifetime.
2. What is Information Processing? - Definition & Stages
How do we interact with and process information in our daily lives? Psychologists use the theory of information processing to explain it. They also use the theory to talk about our stages of memory.
3. The Role of Play in Cognitive Development
When we think of childhood, we often think of playing. But did you know that playing is vital to a child's healthy development? In this lesson, we will learn about the various types of play that aid a child's cognitive growth.
4. Cognitive Development in Infants: Object Permanence & Sensorimotor Periods
There is no time like infancy - it is the first exposure people have to the world. According to Jean Piaget, there are six stages infants go through as they develop cognitively and learn to act in their environment.
5. Cognitive Development in Children and Adolescents
If you were to observe children growing into their teenage years, you would notice their thinking and understanding develops over time. In this lesson, you will learn about the specific stages of mental growth in children and adolescents as outlined by Jean Piaget.
6. Lev Vygotsky's Theory of Cognitive Development
The role of culture and social interactions are imperative to cognitive development, according to psychologist, Lev Vygotsky. This lesson will discuss how social interactions play a role in cognitive development of children, provide an overview of Vygotsky's cultural-historical theory and describe the stages of speech and language development.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Psychology (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Psychology: History and Approaches
- MTTC Psychology: Overview of Contemporary Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Introduction to Research Methods
- MTTC Psychology: Ethical Considerations in Research
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Testing
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches in Counseling
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Genetic Influences on Development
- MTTC Psychology: Prenatal and Infancy Development
- MTTC Psychology: Childhood Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adolescence Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adult Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Sensory and Perceptual Development
- MTTC Psychology: Creativity and Intelligence Development
- MTTC Psychology: Language Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Relationship Development
- MTTC Psychology: Biological Bases of Behavior
- MTTC Psychology: Sensation and Perception
- MTTC Psychology: States of Consciousness
- MTTC Psychology: Learning
- MTTC Psychology: Cognition
- MTTC Psychology: Motivation and Emotion
- MTTC Psychology: Personality Development and Theories
- MTTC Psychology: Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- MTTC Psychology: Abnormal Psychology Basics
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Disorders and Health
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Therapy
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Treatment
- MTTC Psychology: Study of Social Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Group Decisions
- MTTC Psychology: Attitudes and Persuasion
- MTTC Psychology Flashcards