About This Chapter
MTTC Psychology: Genetic Influences on Development - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to help you refresh your memory of genetic influences on development so that you are prepared for the MTTC Psychology exam. All the material you need to know is covered, including the following:
- Mitosis, meiosis and crossing over
- The difference between identical and fraternal twins
- Single gene-pair inheritance
- Sex-linked and polygenic inheritance
- Genetic abnormalities
- The role of genetics in intelligence and personality
- Genetic influence on psychopathology
You can use the resources in this chapter on a smartphone or tablet when you're not near a computer. In addition to the lessons' practice quizzes, you'll find a chapter exam that you can take to further assess your knowledge of the topics presented.
1. The Genetic Code: Influence of Mitosis, Meiosis & Crossing Over
In this lesson, we will learn what the genetic code is and how it can be affected by mitosis, meiosis and crossing over. When mistakes are made and genes are altered, it can have a negative impact on human development.
2. Determination of Sex and Identical vs. Fraternal Twins
Have you ever heard an old wives' tale about what determines whether a child will be a boy or a girl or what causes twins to be born? In this lesson, we will explore the biology behind these myths on how sex is determined and how twins are created.
3. The Influence of Single Gene-Pair Inheritance on Development
What is single gene-pair inheritance? What influence does it have on human development? Learn the answers to these questions as we explore this area of genetic inheritance in this video lesson.
4. The Influence of Sex-Linked and Polygenic Inheritance on Development
What is sex-linked inheritance? What influence does it have on human development? What does it mean if a trait is polygenic? Learn the answers to these questions as this lesson explores this area of genetic inheritance.
5. Genetic Abnormalities in Human Growth and Development
What are mutations and other chromosome abnormalities? How can these abnormalities affect human development? What are some common genetic disorders and their causes? Learn the answers to these questions in this lesson.
6. Is Intelligence Genetic? - Genes' Influence on Intellectual Abilities
What is the role of heritability in determining our intellectual abilities? Is intelligence genetic? Explore what part our genes play and find answers to these questions in the following lesson.
7. Is Personality Genetic? - DNA's Influence on Temperament
How do genetics impact a person's temperament and personality? This lesson will introduce the world of behavioral genetics and help you understand the role our genes play in determining who we are and how we act.
8. Genetic Influence on Psychological Disorders
Do genetics play a role in psychological disorders such as schizophrenia? What do we know about any genetic links? Does environment matter? Find the answers to these questions and more in this video lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Psychology (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Psychology: History and Approaches
- MTTC Psychology: Overview of Contemporary Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Introduction to Research Methods
- MTTC Psychology: Ethical Considerations in Research
- MTTC Psychology: Setting Up the Research Study
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Testing
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches in Counseling
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Prenatal and Infancy Development
- MTTC Psychology: Childhood Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adolescence Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adult Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Sensory and Perceptual Development
- MTTC Psychology: Cognitive Development
- MTTC Psychology: Creativity and Intelligence Development
- MTTC Psychology: Language Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Relationship Development
- MTTC Psychology: Biological Bases of Behavior
- MTTC Psychology: Sensation and Perception
- MTTC Psychology: States of Consciousness
- MTTC Psychology: Learning
- MTTC Psychology: Cognition
- MTTC Psychology: Motivation and Emotion
- MTTC Psychology: Personality Development and Theories
- MTTC Psychology: Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- MTTC Psychology: Abnormal Psychology Basics
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Disorders and Health
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Therapy
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Treatment
- MTTC Psychology: Study of Social Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Group Decisions
- MTTC Psychology: Attitudes and Persuasion
- MTTC Psychology Flashcards