About This Chapter
MTTC Psychology: Learning - Chapter Summary
The videos in this chapter cover the ways we learn, including classical conditioning, operant conditioning, reinforcement scheduling and observational learning These lessons will help you get ready for the MTTC Psychology test questions on learning by preparing you to:
- Define and give examples of classical conditioning
- Explain Watson's experiments with Little Albert
- Describe learning through operant conditioning
- Identify shaping and how it enables learning
- Give an overview of reinforcement scheduling and how it works
- Tell about learning through observation and insight
- Explore biological limits on conditioning
Our professional instructors explain each point in an entertaining way as they prepare you for the test questions. You should have solid knowledge of the learning process by the end of this chapter, and you can check on just how solid it is by taking our self-assessment quizzes at the end.
1. Classical Conditioning in Psychology: Definition, Principles & Examples
Can you be conditioned to associate something new with something else you naturally respond to? In this lesson, we'll take a look at a famous psychological experiment that tested how brains have the ability to automatically react to new stimuli if it's conditioned correctly.
2. Psychologist John Watson & the Little Albert Experiment
Does classical conditioning work on humans? In this lesson, you'll explore this question as poor Little Albert is taught to fear a rat. You'll also see how classical conditioning can be used in advertising.
3. Operant Conditioning in Psychology: Definition, Theory & Examples
How do we adapt our behaviors to our advantage? Can we learn from punishment and reward? With operant conditioning, our behaviors are shaped based off the responses we get from them.
4. What is Shaping in Psychology? - Definition & Examples
How can teachers shape the behavior of their students? In this lesson, you'll not only discover how a pigeon learned how to bowl, but you'll also study the steps required to shape complex acts into continuous behaviors.
5. Schedules of Reinforcement in Psychology: Continuous & Partial
Have you ever wondered how our behavior is conditioned? How does the timing of rewards affect our behavior and our learning? In this lesson, we'll take a close look at how reinforcement scheduling can influence how fast we learn a behavior and how well the behavior is maintained.
6. Observational vs. Insight Learning: Albert Bandura & Wolfgang Kohler
Do you learn through observation or through sudden understanding? In this lesson, we'll take a look at two different methods of learning, which can affect your behavior and problem-solving ability.
7. Biological Limits on Conditioning: Taste Aversion, the Garcia Effect & Instincts
How can biological influences affect conditioning? Have you ever had food poisoning? In this lesson, you'll see how natural responses can accelerate or hinder conditioning.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Psychology (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Psychology: History and Approaches
- MTTC Psychology: Overview of Contemporary Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Introduction to Research Methods
- MTTC Psychology: Ethical Considerations in Research
- MTTC Psychology: Setting Up the Research Study
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Testing
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches in Counseling
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Genetic Influences on Development
- MTTC Psychology: Prenatal and Infancy Development
- MTTC Psychology: Childhood Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adolescence Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adult Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Sensory and Perceptual Development
- MTTC Psychology: Cognitive Development
- MTTC Psychology: Creativity and Intelligence Development
- MTTC Psychology: Language Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Relationship Development
- MTTC Psychology: Biological Bases of Behavior
- MTTC Psychology: Sensation and Perception
- MTTC Psychology: States of Consciousness
- MTTC Psychology: Cognition
- MTTC Psychology: Motivation and Emotion
- MTTC Psychology: Personality Development and Theories
- MTTC Psychology: Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- MTTC Psychology: Abnormal Psychology Basics
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Disorders and Health
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Therapy
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Treatment
- MTTC Psychology: Study of Social Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Group Decisions
- MTTC Psychology: Attitudes and Persuasion
- MTTC Psychology Flashcards