About This Chapter
MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Treatment - Chapter Summary
Try our brief video lessons in this chapter to refresh your recollection of mental health treatments, in preparation for the MTTC Psychology test. The videos cover all the topics you need to know, including:
- Psychodynamic treatment methods
- Kinds of psychiatric drugs
- Community approaches to prevention and intervention
- Uses of prayer and meditation
- Treating schizophrenia and other psychoses
- Treating substance-related disorders
Conveniently, you can use either a computer or mobile device to review these lessons. Our experienced instructors explain each topic thoroughly, pointing out the highlights to make studying easier. Using our multiple approaches can really help you refresh your memory, and perhaps teach you a few new things along the way.
1. Common Psychodynamic Treatments: Free Association, Therapist Interpretation, and Catharsis
Psychodynamic theory says that psychological problems come from a person's subconscious. But, how do you treat the subconscious? In this lesson, we'll look at three methods: free association, dream interpretation, and catharsis.
2. Overview of Psychiatric Drugs: History, Types & Uses
Have you ever been curious about how psychiatric drugs work, or more specifically, which psychiatric drugs are used for which disorders? This lesson outlines some common psychiatric disorders and how various medications are used to treat and subdue psychotic symptoms.
3. Community Approaches to Mental Health Treatment: Prevention & Intervention
How are people with mental illnesses treated? In this lesson, we'll look at community mental health initiatives aimed at helping people prevent and get treatment for psychological disorders.
4. Spirituality & Mental Health: Using Prayer and Meditation to Treat Mental Illness
There is a long and complicated history between religion and mental illness, but recent developments in psychology are showing advantages to religious treatments for mental issues. This lesson examines faith-based therapy.
5. Treating Schizophrenia and Other Psychotic Disorders: Managing Mental Health
There are many types of psychotic disorders, including schizophrenia, which affect the day-to-day lives of many people. In this lesson, we'll look at the treatments commonly used for psychotic disorders, including the difference in types of antipsychotic drugs.
6. Treating Substance-Related Disorders: Biological, Behavioral and Psychodynamic Approaches
Millions of people suffer from alcohol and drug addiction. How do people get over addiction? In this lesson, we'll look at four different approaches to substance use treatment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Psychology (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Psychology: History and Approaches
- MTTC Psychology: Overview of Contemporary Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Introduction to Research Methods
- MTTC Psychology: Ethical Considerations in Research
- MTTC Psychology: Setting Up the Research Study
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Testing
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches in Counseling
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Genetic Influences on Development
- MTTC Psychology: Prenatal and Infancy Development
- MTTC Psychology: Childhood Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adolescence Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adult Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Sensory and Perceptual Development
- MTTC Psychology: Cognitive Development
- MTTC Psychology: Creativity and Intelligence Development
- MTTC Psychology: Language Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Relationship Development
- MTTC Psychology: Biological Bases of Behavior
- MTTC Psychology: Sensation and Perception
- MTTC Psychology: States of Consciousness
- MTTC Psychology: Learning
- MTTC Psychology: Cognition
- MTTC Psychology: Motivation and Emotion
- MTTC Psychology: Personality Development and Theories
- MTTC Psychology: Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- MTTC Psychology: Abnormal Psychology Basics
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Disorders and Health
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Therapy
- MTTC Psychology: Study of Social Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Group Decisions
- MTTC Psychology: Attitudes and Persuasion
- MTTC Psychology Flashcards