About This Chapter
MTTC Psychology: Prenatal and Infancy Development - Chapter Summary
The lessons and quizzes in this chapter can help you understand stages of prenatal and infant development and factors that influence development as you prepare for the MTTC Psychology exam. These lessons cover information that will prepare you to answer these types of exam questions:
- Naming the stages of prenatal development
- Charting stages of development in the brain before birth
- Listing environmental factors that can influence prenatal development and endanger the birth process
- Identifying ways the mother's physical and mental health can impact development before birth
- Explaining how development is assessed in a newborn, including the Apgar test
- Understanding developmental expectations in a newborn
Our instructors are experts in the field and know how to help you prepare for the test. The information on prenatal and neonatal development will aid you in answering these types of questions. The quizzes which follow the lessons will give you a chance to check on your recollection and comprehension of the material and prepare you for the sorts of questions that will be on the exam itself.
1. Prenatal Stages and Development: Germinal, Embryonic & Fetal Period
In the 9 months before a baby is born, there is an enormous amount of prenatal development. In this lesson, you will explore the following stages of prenatal development: the germinal period, the embryonic period, and the fetal period.
2. Principles of Growth and Development
Is there a pattern to how human growth and development takes place? This lesson will examine some universal principles of growth and development in order to help you find the answer to this question.
3. Prenatal Stages of Brain Development
The prenatal brain develops at an amazing speed. This lesson provides an overview of this brain development throughout the three trimesters of pregnancy and highlights key stages.
4. The Prenatal Environment and Hazards to Healthy Prenatal Development
In this lesson, learn about the prenatal environment and what can be harmful to prenatal development. Learn about the hazards of drugs, alcohol, tobacco, disease and environmental pollutants during pregnancy.
5. The Impact of Mother's Emotional and Physical State on the Prenatal Environment
An unborn child and its mother are connected both physically and emotionally. Learn how prenatal development is affected by both the emotional and physical state of the mother in this lesson.
6. The Perinatal Environment and Potential Hazards During the Birth Process
What does perinatal mean? What happens during the birth process? What are some things that can go wrong? You will find the answers to these questions and more in this lesson!
7. The Neonatal Environment: Definition & Apgar Test
The neonatal period lasts from birth until four weeks old. Care during this period is essential to healthy development. In this lesson, explore the neonatal environment and learn how the Apgar test is used to assess newborn functioning.
8. The Newborn: Capabilities, Growth, and Developmental Milestones
Newborn growth and development is an amazing process! In this lesson, you will discover how babies learn, when they acquire certain abilities, and what reflexes they are born with.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Psychology (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Psychology: History and Approaches
- MTTC Psychology: Overview of Contemporary Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Introduction to Research Methods
- MTTC Psychology: Ethical Considerations in Research
- MTTC Psychology: Setting Up the Research Study
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Testing
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches in Counseling
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Genetic Influences on Development
- MTTC Psychology: Childhood Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adolescence Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adult Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Sensory and Perceptual Development
- MTTC Psychology: Cognitive Development
- MTTC Psychology: Creativity and Intelligence Development
- MTTC Psychology: Language Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Relationship Development
- MTTC Psychology: Biological Bases of Behavior
- MTTC Psychology: Sensation and Perception
- MTTC Psychology: States of Consciousness
- MTTC Psychology: Learning
- MTTC Psychology: Cognition
- MTTC Psychology: Motivation and Emotion
- MTTC Psychology: Personality Development and Theories
- MTTC Psychology: Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- MTTC Psychology: Abnormal Psychology Basics
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Disorders and Health
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Therapy
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Treatment
- MTTC Psychology: Study of Social Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Group Decisions
- MTTC Psychology: Attitudes and Persuasion
- MTTC Psychology Flashcards