About This Chapter
MTTC Psychology: Sensation and Perception - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter to refresh your memory on the topics of sensation and perception so that you are prepared for the MTTC Psychology exam. The videos cover the following issues for your review:
- How sensation and perception differ
- How vision and hearing work
- Depth perception
- Smell, taste and touch
- Perceptual development
You can use the video tags to help you quickly track down any video segments that you'd like to see a second time. Take a practice quiz following completion of each lesson to verify your understanding of the material.
MTTC Psychology: Sensation and Perception Chapter Objectives
The MTTC Psychology exam determines whether you have the needed knowledge to be a psychology teacher in Michigan. The topics in the Sensation and Perception chapter pertain to the behavior subarea on the exam, which makes up about 29% of the questions. The paper and computer versions of the exam each have a total of 100 multiple-choice questions.
1. Intro to Sensation and Perception
What is the difference between sensation and perception, and how do they work? You'll get to see how the mind handles and differentiates between multiple sensations in this introduction.
2. How Does Vision Work?
How do your eyes and brain work together to turn light into images? You'll learn about the working components of the eye and take a look at two theories of color perception.
3. What is Depth Perception? - Definition, Cues & Examples
How do our brains make 3-D images out of 2-D inputs? In this lesson, you'll explore various visual cues that require either one eye or both eyes. Prepare to look at depth perception in a new way.
4. Mechanics of Hearing & How the Brain Processes Sound
How do our ears transform sound into signals that our brains can process? In this lesson, you'll cover properties of sound waves and how they interact with key parts of the ear.
5. Taste, Touch & Smell: Proprioception & the Somatosensory System
How do taste, touch and smell work? Also, what is proprioception? Throughout this lesson, you'll get a detailed description on each of these remarkable senses.
6. Perceptual Development in Infants
Why are some senses more developed than others for a newborn? You'll learn which senses are initially important for infants to bond with and recognize their mothers and which one is still in development after birth.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Psychology (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Psychology: History and Approaches
- MTTC Psychology: Overview of Contemporary Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Introduction to Research Methods
- MTTC Psychology: Ethical Considerations in Research
- MTTC Psychology: Setting Up the Research Study
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Testing
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches in Counseling
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Genetic Influences on Development
- MTTC Psychology: Prenatal and Infancy Development
- MTTC Psychology: Childhood Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adolescence Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adult Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Sensory and Perceptual Development
- MTTC Psychology: Cognitive Development
- MTTC Psychology: Creativity and Intelligence Development
- MTTC Psychology: Language Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Relationship Development
- MTTC Psychology: Biological Bases of Behavior
- MTTC Psychology: States of Consciousness
- MTTC Psychology: Learning
- MTTC Psychology: Cognition
- MTTC Psychology: Motivation and Emotion
- MTTC Psychology: Personality Development and Theories
- MTTC Psychology: Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- MTTC Psychology: Abnormal Psychology Basics
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Disorders and Health
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Therapy
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Treatment
- MTTC Psychology: Study of Social Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Group Decisions
- MTTC Psychology: Attitudes and Persuasion
- MTTC Psychology Flashcards