About This Chapter
MTTC Psychology: Sensory and Perceptual Development - Chapter Summary
You can use the lessons in this chapter to re-examine theory and research in the field of sensory and perceptual development. Reviewing the material in these lessons will help you prepare yourself for the exam. The videos cover the following topics:
- Sensitive developmental periods: the years from birth to age 6
- Infant perceptual development
- The importance of attention in perceptual development
- How aging changes sensory perception
- Sensory deprivation and its effects on human development
Our knowledgeable instructors emphasize the important points in sensory and perceptual development so you will be prepared for the test. We use a variety of different approaches to make it easier to learn the material.
MTTC Psychology: Sensory and Perceptual Development Chapter Objectives
The MTTC Psychology exam evaluates your knowledge and comprehension of all areas in the field of psychology. Your score on the exam will be used to determine your eligibility for licensure as a teacher in the state of Michigan. The topics in this Sensory and Perceptual Development chapter belong to the Behavior subarea. The section contains about 29% of the test items. The self-assessment quizzes that accompany each lesson will help you check on your comprehension as well as introduce you to the types of questions that are likely to appear on the test.
There are 100 multiple-choice questions on the MTTC Psychology exam. You will read a passage or question and then be presented with several possible answers.
1. The Sensitive Periods of Development: Birth to Age 6
The phrase 'sensitive periods in human development' may sound like it refers to moody teenagers, but it actually refers to periods of time when a child easily absorbs information in a specific way. The most important sensitive periods occur between birth and age six. Learn more in this lesson.
2. Infant Perceptual Development and the Five Senses
What is habituation and how does it affect perceptual development in an infant? Learn the answer to this question and more as this lesson explores sensory development in infants.
3. The Role of Attention in Perceptual Development
How does a child's perceptual development progress, and what is the role of attention in this process? This lesson will use examples to teach you about this relationship and walk you through the changes.
4. Aging and Sensory Perception: Changes in Sensory Thresholds
What are sensory thresholds? How does sensory perception change with age? This lesson will answer these questions and teach you even more about sensory changes in late adulthood.
5. Sensory Deprivation: The Impact on Human Development
What is sensory deprivation? What are its impacts on human development? Learn the answers to these questions and more in this lesson, then test your knowledge with a quiz!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Psychology (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Psychology: History and Approaches
- MTTC Psychology: Overview of Contemporary Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Introduction to Research Methods
- MTTC Psychology: Ethical Considerations in Research
- MTTC Psychology: Setting Up the Research Study
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Testing
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches in Counseling
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Genetic Influences on Development
- MTTC Psychology: Prenatal and Infancy Development
- MTTC Psychology: Childhood Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adolescence Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adult Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Cognitive Development
- MTTC Psychology: Creativity and Intelligence Development
- MTTC Psychology: Language Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Relationship Development
- MTTC Psychology: Biological Bases of Behavior
- MTTC Psychology: Sensation and Perception
- MTTC Psychology: States of Consciousness
- MTTC Psychology: Learning
- MTTC Psychology: Cognition
- MTTC Psychology: Motivation and Emotion
- MTTC Psychology: Personality Development and Theories
- MTTC Psychology: Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- MTTC Psychology: Abnormal Psychology Basics
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Disorders and Health
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Therapy
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Treatment
- MTTC Psychology: Study of Social Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Group Decisions
- MTTC Psychology: Attitudes and Persuasion
- MTTC Psychology Flashcards