About This Chapter
MTTC Psychology: States of Consciousness - Chapter Summary
The lessons contained in this chapter can help you recollect what you learned in college about different states of consciousness as you prepare for the MTTC Psychology Exam. Our brief, engaging video lessons cover everything you need to know, including:
- Overview of states of consciousness
- The sleep-wake cycle
- Sleeping and dreaming
- The use of psychoactive drugs
Our knowledgeable instructors go over the material in ways that are informative and interesting, helping you remember what you learned about states of consciousness in your college courses and, possibly, adding a new piece of information or two.
Objectives of the MTTC Psychology: States of Consciousness Chapter
The MTTC Psychology exam evaluates your knowledge and understanding of all the theories, concepts, and research that make up the field of psychology. Your grade on the exam is used to determine eligibility for licensure as a teacher in the state of Michigan. The Behavior subarea of the exam accounts for 29% of the test questions. A passing score is 220. By taking our self-assessment quizzes, you evaluate what you know and what you have to review some more, and at the same time get an idea of the kinds of questions you will see on the exam itself.
There are 100 multiple-choice questions on the exam. You will be presented with a paragraph or a question and a series of possible answers. The test is administered on paper but it can also be taken by computer. It is given several times each year.
1. States of Consciousness, Self-Awareness & the Unconscious Mind
Consciousness is your awareness of how and why you react to your surroundings. As you watch this video, you may realize that you pass through multiple states of consciousness during any given day.
2. What is the Sleep Cycle? - Definition, Stages & Disorders
What happens when you sleep? Why are dreams typically more intense as morning approaches? This lesson will guide you through the stages of the sleep cycle that make up a full night's rest.
3. Why Do We Sleep and Dream?
The exact functions of sleeping and dreaming are unknown, but psychologists have attempted to interpret what happens and why when we sleep. In this lesson, you'll explore the importance of sleep and some of the more famous theories regarding why we dream.
4. Altered States of Consciousness: Meditation & Hypnosis
How can you reach an altered state of consciousness without drugs? Meditation and hypnosis are two techniques that can promote a relaxed state of mind. Watch this video to learn the difference between the two and their possible effects.
5. What are Psychoactive Drugs? - Definition, Types & Uses
How do psychoactive drugs alter cognitive states? In this lesson, you'll learn how these chemical compounds affect neurotransmitter functions as well as explore some factors that can affect the outcomes of drug use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Psychology (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Psychology: History and Approaches
- MTTC Psychology: Overview of Contemporary Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Introduction to Research Methods
- MTTC Psychology: Ethical Considerations in Research
- MTTC Psychology: Setting Up the Research Study
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Testing
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches in Counseling
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Genetic Influences on Development
- MTTC Psychology: Prenatal and Infancy Development
- MTTC Psychology: Childhood Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adolescence Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adult Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Sensory and Perceptual Development
- MTTC Psychology: Cognitive Development
- MTTC Psychology: Creativity and Intelligence Development
- MTTC Psychology: Language Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Relationship Development
- MTTC Psychology: Biological Bases of Behavior
- MTTC Psychology: Sensation and Perception
- MTTC Psychology: Learning
- MTTC Psychology: Cognition
- MTTC Psychology: Motivation and Emotion
- MTTC Psychology: Personality Development and Theories
- MTTC Psychology: Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms
- MTTC Psychology: Abnormal Psychology Basics
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Disorders and Health
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Therapy
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Treatment
- MTTC Psychology: Study of Social Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Group Decisions
- MTTC Psychology: Attitudes and Persuasion
- MTTC Psychology Flashcards