About This Chapter
MTTC Psychology: Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms - Chapter Summary
This chapter will familiarize you with material on acute stress disorder as part of your test preparation. Additional lessons in this chapter aim at getting you ready for the MTTC Psychology test by looking at the following:
- The definition of stress and its impact on overall health
- Where stress comes from
- Causes and treatments of psychophysiological disorders
- Techniques for reducing academic stress and stress at work
- Health risks associated with chronic stress
You will have a solid understanding of the general adaptation syndrome (GAS) after reviewing that lesson's short video and reading through the text portion. The GAS video and every other video lesson in the chapter can be reexamined bit by bit using the video tags.
Objectives of the MTTC Psychology: Stress Management and Coping Mechanisms Chapter
From reviewing this chapter you should be able to correctly answer any relevant questions on the MTTC Psychology test. Take the self-assessment quizzes in the chapter after you finish lessons for extra review as well as for experience with questions similar to actual exam items. Test takers are given 4 hours and 30 minutes at the most to finish the 100 multiple-choice questions on the MTTC Psychology exam.
1. Stress: Definition and Impact on Overall Health
Stress, distress, eustress: just thinking about those terms may make you stress out! Don't worry, this lesson will define them and show plenty of examples of them in a manner that will calm your mind!
2. Where Does Stress Come From?
Explore the wonderful world of all the things that cause us stress. From school and work to internal and interpersonal stressors, we'll define what stressors are and the many places they arise from in this lesson.
3. General Adaptation Syndrome: Definition, Phases & Changes
The general adaptation syndrome is a predictable series of phases related to stress. This lesson will explore some of the physiological and psychological changes associated with each phase.
4. Health Risks Associated with Chronic Stress
Chronic stress has been linked to a ton of problems for the body both psychologically and physiologically. We'll take a trip in this lesson to examine what these problems are - a trip you may never forget.
5. Stress Disorders: Definition and Perspectives
Everyone has to deal with stress, but some people do not manage their stress in a healthy way. In this lesson, we will look more closely at psychological disorders related to stress, including ways that people react to and manage stress.
6. Acute Stress Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment
When people experience a traumatic event, it can lead to all sorts of psychological problems. In this lesson, we'll look at one reaction to trauma: acute stress disorder. We'll examine the diagnostic criteria, risk factors, and treatments, and then test our knowledge with a quiz.
7. Psychophysiological Disorders: Definition, Types, Causes and Treatment
Psychological issues can affect a person's physical body. In this lesson, we'll look closer at psychophysiological disorders, including the different types, diseases affected by mental illness, and treatment.
8. Coping With Stress: Techniques, Attitudes & Reducing Exposure
Work, school, and life in general have plenty of things that cause us a lot of stress. If you'd like to learn some techniques that help to deal with these problems, watch or read this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Psychology (011): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Psychology: History and Approaches
- MTTC Psychology: Overview of Contemporary Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Introduction to Research Methods
- MTTC Psychology: Ethical Considerations in Research
- MTTC Psychology: Setting Up the Research Study
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Testing
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches in Counseling
- MTTC Psychology: Theoretical Approaches to Human Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Genetic Influences on Development
- MTTC Psychology: Prenatal and Infancy Development
- MTTC Psychology: Childhood Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adolescence Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Adult Growth and Development
- MTTC Psychology: Sensory and Perceptual Development
- MTTC Psychology: Cognitive Development
- MTTC Psychology: Creativity and Intelligence Development
- MTTC Psychology: Language Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Development
- MTTC Psychology: Social Relationship Development
- MTTC Psychology: Biological Bases of Behavior
- MTTC Psychology: Sensation and Perception
- MTTC Psychology: States of Consciousness
- MTTC Psychology: Learning
- MTTC Psychology: Cognition
- MTTC Psychology: Motivation and Emotion
- MTTC Psychology: Personality Development and Theories
- MTTC Psychology: Abnormal Psychology Basics
- MTTC Psychology: Psychological Disorders and Health
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Therapy
- MTTC Psychology: Mental Health Treatment
- MTTC Psychology: Study of Social Psychology
- MTTC Psychology: Group Decisions
- MTTC Psychology: Attitudes and Persuasion
- MTTC Psychology Flashcards