About This Chapter
MTTC Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics - Chapter Summary
Watch these lesson videos to learn more about the development of phonological awareness and spelling skills as well as some methods teachers can use to promote this development. These online lessons can be viewed on your mobile devices. Follow along with our expert instructors as they discuss:
- Stages of phonological development
- Ways of teaching phonics
- Processes of developing spelling skills
- Use of prefixes, suffixes and root words
If at any time during this chapter you develop questions about the material presented, ask our instructors for clarification via the teacher's tab. You can also read over the transcripts at your leisure. They reflect the video presentations verbatim. Several quizzes are included in the chapter. Use them to make sure you're ready for exam questions about phonology, phonemes and phonics.
MTTC Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics Chapter Objectives
The state of Michigan uses the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Reading to measure future reading teachers' knowledge of reading instruction before granting them certification. Be prepared to complete the 100 multiple-choice questions during either of the exam's two versions. The paper-based certification test has a four-hour-and-30-minute time limit while the computer-based test has a limit of two hours and 30 minutes. Nineteen percent of these questions belong to the subarea of Meaning and Communication, 18% belong to the subarea of Skills and Processes and another 18% belong to the subarea of Instruction. You should be prepared for some of the questions in all three of these subareas to ask you about phonemic systems and awareness.
1. Phoneme: Definition, Segmentation & Examples
Phonemes are tiny units of sound in speech. When phonemes are combined, they can make up words. In this lesson, we will discuss what phonemes are, how to segment them in words and why they are important.
2. Phonological Development in Children: Stages & Overview
In this lesson you'll learn all about how children develop the ability to turn basic units of sound into actual language. We'll cover the major phonological skills and the stages of development. Following the lesson is a short quiz.
3. Morphemes: Examples, Definition & Types
The smallest recognized unit of meaning, morphemes function as the foundation of language. Explore this foundation through a full definition, discussion of types, and examples. Then, test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Teaching Phonics in the Classroom
In this lesson, you will work toward being able to explain phonics as a teaching method, understanding the connection between phonics and phonological awareness, and understanding some activities and strategies to help with teaching phonics.
5. The Spelling Development Process
The process of learning to spell can often be complicated and frustrating for students. With the right method of instruction and a solid understanding of the relationship between spelling and reading, spelling can be a breeze. Read on for details.
6. Spelling & Word Patterns: Prefixes, Suffixes & Root Words
How do we form words in our language? What gives them definitions? Watch this video lesson to discover how word parts like prefixes, suffixes and root words make up words and affect their meanings.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Reading (05): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Reading: The Reading Process
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Language Arts
- MTTC Reading: Learning Theories
- MTTC Reading: Factors Affecting Student Learning
- MTTC Reading: Language Development
- MTTC Reading: Emergent Literacy
- MTTC Reading: Uses of Language
- MTTC Reading: Understanding Literature
- MTTC Reading: Using Literary Texts
- MTTC Reading: Developing & Promoting Literacy
- MTTC Reading: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- MTTC Reading: Promoting Study Strategies
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Comprehension
- MTTC Reading: Speaking & Listening Skills
- MTTC Reading: Oral Communication in the Classroom
- MTTC Reading: Promoting Written Communication
- MTTC Reading: Grammar
- MTTC Reading: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTTC Reading: Writing Skills
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Vocabulary Skills
- MTTC Reading: Planning Reading Curriculum
- MTTC Reading: Assessment Uses & Data
- MTTC Reading: Reading Assessments
- MTTC Reading: Using Reading Assessment Data
- MTTC Reading: Readers with Special Needs
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Readers with Special Needs
- MTTC Reading: Role & Function of Reading Professionals
- MTTC Reading Flashcards