About This Chapter
MTTC Reading: Planning Reading Curriculum - Chapter Summary
The activities of this chapter have been put together to aid in your studies for the MTTC Reading exam by reviewing important topics that relate to reading curriculum. Watch the lesson videos of this chapter to review this subject matter with our expert instructors who will help you improve your understanding of:
- Kinds of learning and effective learning strategies
- Developing learning and reading habits in students
- Designing and mapping curriculum
- Spiral curriculum
- Student grouping strategies
For an alternative review of the lessons, read the lesson transcripts that accompany these videos. These transcripts will present you with written overviews of the lessons that highlight some of the key vocabulary terms of this chapter. Following these lessons, complete the lesson quizzes to discover topics you don't understand and then use video tags to pinpoint the related segments for more review.
1. What is Learning? - Understanding Effective Classroom Strategies
We all learn new things every day, but how is 'learning' defined in educational psychology? This lesson covers the definition of learning, different types of learning, and discusses learning styles.
2. What is Curriculum?
Teachers are often asked to design or work with particular curricula, but rarely do we get a chance to talk about what curriculum actually is. This lesson gets you toward a definition and gives you a few key guiding points to work with.
3. What is Curriculum & Instruction?
Learn about two guiding educational concepts that impact students everywhere. This lesson will explain what you need to know about curriculum and instruction.
4. What is Curriculum Design?
Curriculum design is a big part of teaching, but it can be hard to know exactly what it means. In this lesson, you will follow a teacher as he learns some of what goes into effective curriculum design.
5. What is Curriculum Mapping?
In this lesson we will discuss what a curriculum map is. Topics we will cover include what to include in a curriculum map, who writes a curriculum map, and what things to consider when writing a curriculum map.
6. Spiral Curriculum: Definition & Example
'Spiral curriculum' may be a term that you haven't heard before, but you certainly have learned from such a curriculum in your own student life. This lesson will provide a definition of spiral curriculum as well as some examples of the educational tool in action.
7. Strategies for Developing Students' Learning & Reading Habits
Ever finished reading and couldn't remember what you had just read? Many students experience this, too. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies to help your students develop healthy reading habits.
8. Student Grouping Strategies for Reading Instruction
Using different grouping strategies can help to foster reading skills for many students. This lesson outlines three grouping strategies with suggestions for how to use each one.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Reading (05): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Reading: The Reading Process
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Language Arts
- MTTC Reading: Learning Theories
- MTTC Reading: Factors Affecting Student Learning
- MTTC Reading: Language Development
- MTTC Reading: Emergent Literacy
- MTTC Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics
- MTTC Reading: Uses of Language
- MTTC Reading: Understanding Literature
- MTTC Reading: Using Literary Texts
- MTTC Reading: Developing & Promoting Literacy
- MTTC Reading: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- MTTC Reading: Promoting Study Strategies
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Comprehension
- MTTC Reading: Speaking & Listening Skills
- MTTC Reading: Oral Communication in the Classroom
- MTTC Reading: Promoting Written Communication
- MTTC Reading: Grammar
- MTTC Reading: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTTC Reading: Writing Skills
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Vocabulary Skills
- MTTC Reading: Assessment Uses & Data
- MTTC Reading: Reading Assessments
- MTTC Reading: Using Reading Assessment Data
- MTTC Reading: Readers with Special Needs
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Readers with Special Needs
- MTTC Reading: Role & Function of Reading Professionals
- MTTC Reading Flashcards