About This Chapter
MTTC Reading: Readers with Special Needs - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter's videos to review information on teaching reading to students with special needs. Our lessons and quizzes can help you answer MTTC Reading exam questions on topics including:
- Early signals of a reading difficulty
- Reading programs for special needs students
- Symptoms and treatment of dyslexia
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- How developmental abnormalities impact learning
- Models of gifted education
- Common issues at various age levels
Our lessons are short, roughly five minutes in length, and developed and taught by experts who understand what is needed for success on the exam. You can quickly locate key topics for review by using the video tags in the lessons, and each lesson includes a written transcript.
1. Identifying Early Signs of a Reading Difficulty
This lesson introduces the signs and symptoms often displayed by early elementary age students who are having difficulty with reading. Specific signs at each grade level are identified and discussed.
2. Learning Disabilities: How to Identify Children with a Learning Disability
Identifying children with a learning disability can be tricky because it can be confused with a lack of interest in a school subject. In this lesson, we will look at how learning disabilities can be identified and the three most common learning disabilities: dyscalculia, dysgraphia and dyslexia.
3. Reading Programs for Students With Special Needs
Teaching students with disabilities presents many challenges, mostly because of the diversity of your learners. When creating or selecting a reading program, it is important that teachers understand the most important areas of reading instruction.
4. What Is Dyslexia in Children? - Symptoms, Definition & Treatment
Dyslexia is a learning disorder that affects between five and 17 percent of children in the United States. Learn about dyslexia, its symptoms, how it is treated, and more.
5. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: Definition of ADHD
This lesson explores common characteristics of attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) as well as the best practices for teaching learners with this disorder.
6. Developmental Abnormalities in Children: Effects & Impacts on Learning
Developmental abnormalities in children have an impact on their learning and social skills. Examine an example in this lesson that will help you learn about the importance of early intervention.
7. What Is Gifted Education? - History, Models & Issues
Gifted education is the area of education that focuses on the needs of gifted and talented students. Learn about the history, models, and issues involved in gifted education and test your knowledge with quiz questions.
8. Common Issues with Elementary School Children
While childhood is meant to be a happy time, there are many children for whom it is a time of emotional difficulty. This lesson looks into some challenges that are common to elementary-aged children.
9. Common Issues with Middle/Secondary School Children
You may have had a tough time during your middle or high school years; during that time, it's common for teens to go through various emotional challenges. Here, we will look into several issues that are commonly faced during this time.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Reading (05): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Reading: The Reading Process
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Language Arts
- MTTC Reading: Learning Theories
- MTTC Reading: Factors Affecting Student Learning
- MTTC Reading: Language Development
- MTTC Reading: Emergent Literacy
- MTTC Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics
- MTTC Reading: Uses of Language
- MTTC Reading: Understanding Literature
- MTTC Reading: Using Literary Texts
- MTTC Reading: Developing & Promoting Literacy
- MTTC Reading: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- MTTC Reading: Promoting Study Strategies
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Comprehension
- MTTC Reading: Speaking & Listening Skills
- MTTC Reading: Oral Communication in the Classroom
- MTTC Reading: Promoting Written Communication
- MTTC Reading: Grammar
- MTTC Reading: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTTC Reading: Writing Skills
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Vocabulary Skills
- MTTC Reading: Planning Reading Curriculum
- MTTC Reading: Assessment Uses & Data
- MTTC Reading: Reading Assessments
- MTTC Reading: Using Reading Assessment Data
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Readers with Special Needs
- MTTC Reading: Role & Function of Reading Professionals
- MTTC Reading Flashcards