About This Chapter
MTTC Reading: Reading Assessments - Chapter Summary
As you study for the MTTC Reading exam, include this chapter to review the different techniques used to assess students' reading skills. This chapter is composed of a series of mobile-device-compatible lesson videos that are taught by expert instructors who will explain:
- Tools and techniques used to assess phonemic awareness
- Techniques used to assess a student's vocabulary
- Assessments for reading comprehension
- Ways to assess research and study skills
- Strategies used to assess reading materials
After these lesson videos, test your mastery over the material by completing the lesson quizzes that accompany the lessons. With the results from these assessments you can discover topics you don't understand, and then use the video tags to go back to the segments that covered them. Once you have a firm understanding of the material presented in these lessons, take the practice chapter exam.
1. Assessment Techniques for Phonemic Awareness
In this lesson, we will learn about some assessment tools for monitoring the development of phonemic awareness in Kindergarten through the second grade.
2. Phonics Assessment: Tools & Techniques
In this lesson, we will examine the components of phonics skills development and look at techniques to effectively monitor student progress in this area.
3. Effective Techniques for Vocabulary Assessment
In this lesson, we will examine various types of vocabulary assessments and discuss how teachers select words to be taught and assessed based on intended outcomes.
4. Assessment Techniques for Reading Comprehension
Need to assess your students' reading ability? Not quite sure where to begin? This lesson describes several techniques reading teachers can use to assess students' reading comprehension.
5. How to Assess Student Research & Study Skills
Today's teachers are tasked with ensuring that students know how to study and conduct research. This lesson will provide you with some ideas about how to assess your students' ability to ask questions, evaluate resources, and take good notes.
6. Strategies for Assessing Reading Materials
One of the most important aspects of being an English language arts teacher is choosing suitable reading materials for your students. Watch this video lesson to learn strategies for choosing the most appropriate materials.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Reading (05): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Reading: The Reading Process
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Language Arts
- MTTC Reading: Learning Theories
- MTTC Reading: Factors Affecting Student Learning
- MTTC Reading: Language Development
- MTTC Reading: Emergent Literacy
- MTTC Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics
- MTTC Reading: Uses of Language
- MTTC Reading: Understanding Literature
- MTTC Reading: Using Literary Texts
- MTTC Reading: Developing & Promoting Literacy
- MTTC Reading: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- MTTC Reading: Promoting Study Strategies
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Comprehension
- MTTC Reading: Speaking & Listening Skills
- MTTC Reading: Oral Communication in the Classroom
- MTTC Reading: Promoting Written Communication
- MTTC Reading: Grammar
- MTTC Reading: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTTC Reading: Writing Skills
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Vocabulary Skills
- MTTC Reading: Planning Reading Curriculum
- MTTC Reading: Assessment Uses & Data
- MTTC Reading: Using Reading Assessment Data
- MTTC Reading: Readers with Special Needs
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Readers with Special Needs
- MTTC Reading: Role & Function of Reading Professionals
- MTTC Reading Flashcards