About This Chapter
MTTC Reading Specialist - Emergent Language - Chapter Summary
Reviewing this chapter's video lessons will increase your understanding of language acquisition in children. In addition to identifying speech sound errors in your students, you might build upon your expertise in areas of bilingual education and phonics instruction. This chapter could assist you with:
- Major skills in phonological development
- Phonics and pragmatics
- Developing pragmatic knowledge
- Exploring best practices in multicultural education
- Childhood speech delays
- Characteristics of communication disorders
Our experienced instructors deliver each of these lessons which are only about five to ten minutes in length. You'll have the opportunity to watch, listen or read the accompanying transcripts. The online lessons are designed to be self-paced, and you can access them 24/7 with your mobile technology. The lesson quizzes can be re-taken and the results printed out for your perusal. Move from topic to topic with the video tags and submit questions to the experts by using the ask-a-question feature.
MTTC Reading Specialist - Emergent Language Objectives
This chapter includes information you'll need to know when you sit for the paper-based MTTC Reading Specialist examination. There are six sub-areas on the assessment, including Genres and Craft of Literature and Language. This sub-area accounts for 14% of the test questions. The examination includes 100 multiple-choice questions, which must be answered within a time frame of four hours and 30 minutes. You may choose a morning or afternoon testing session as you pursue a reading specialist teaching endorsement.
1. Phoneme: Definition, Segmentation & Examples
Phonemes are tiny units of sound in speech. When phonemes are combined, they can make up words. In this lesson, we will discuss what phonemes are, how to segment them in words and why they are important.
2. Phonological Development in Children: Stages & Overview
In this lesson you'll learn all about how children develop the ability to turn basic units of sound into actual language. We'll cover the major phonological skills and the stages of development. Following the lesson is a short quiz.
3. Teaching Phonics in the Classroom
In this lesson, you will work toward being able to explain phonics as a teaching method, understanding the connection between phonics and phonological awareness, and understanding some activities and strategies to help with teaching phonics.
4. What is Pragmatics? - Definition & Examples
You use pragmatics on an everyday basis, but do you know how? Watch this video lesson to not only learn the meaning of pragmatics but also how you use it every day.
5. How Children Acquire Pragmatic Knowledge
In this lesson, we will examine how children learn pragmatic knowledge. First, we will define pragmatics and then we will break down the stages of development.
6. Bilingual Education, Immersion & Multicultural Education
Educators use many approaches for second-language instruction. The approaches vary based on the individual needs of the learner, focusing on his or her current language abilities, background, and cultural experiences. This lesson will differentiate between the different types of second-language instruction, including immersion, bilingual education, and multicultural education.
7. How Children With Dialectal Differences Develop & Use English
In this lesson, you'll learn about the different dialects of American English and how children of differing backgrounds develop and use English according to the rules of their dialects.
8. Speech Delays in Toddlers & Children: Types & Examples
Did you know that over 7 percent of children in the United States have some type of speech delay? In this lesson, you'll learn more about the different types of speech delays from examples.
9. Characteristics of Speech Sound Errors: Speech & Communication Disorders
In this lesson, we explore speech sound disorders, which include articulation deficits, phonological process disorder and fluency disorder. Also learn the characteristics of each of these disorders.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Reading Specialist (092): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Language Development
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Literature-Based Language Instruction
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Literary Genres
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Grammar Basics
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Figurative Language
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Strategies for Descriptive Writing
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Promoting Literacy
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Teaching Study Strategies
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Foundations of Reading Instruction
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Developing Reading Comprehension
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Supporting Vocabulary Development
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Oral Communication
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Communication in the Classroom
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Teaching Strategies for Writing
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Written Communication
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Types of Assessments
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Assessment Techniques
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Data Analysis for Assessments
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Reading Issues & Disabilities
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Instruction for Diverse Students
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Partnerships in Instruction
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Professional Skills & Development
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Legal Issues in Education
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Planning Curriculum
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Literacy Research
- MTTC Reading Specialist Flashcards