About This Chapter
MTTC Reading Specialist: Language Development - Chapter Summary
Review information about how infants and children develop language skills and the factors that influence this development. Our lessons and quizzes will help you prepare for MTTC Reading Specialist exam questions covering the following:
- The definition of language
- The nativist perspective
- Language acquisition
- The development of language skills in infants and children
- Pre-linguistic and symbolic language
- How environment and culture impact language development
These lessons average around five minutes in length, and you can watch them anytime, on a computer or mobile device. Clickable video tags in the lessons make it simple to return to key topics that you wish to further review. Each lesson is accompanied by a written transcript that allows you to read along with the instructor.
1. What Is Language?
Have you ever wondered how human language is constructed to form meaning? Why is language more complex than animal calls? In this lesson, we'll take a look at the basic units language and learn how meaning is formed.
2. The Nativist Perspective and Language Development
In this lesson, learn how we develop language according to the nativist perspective. Discover Noam Chomsky's idea of the language acquisition device (LAD) and its role in this process.
3. Language Acquisition: Definition, Theories & Stages
Have you ever wondered how humans are able to learn, process, comprehend and speak a language? In this lesson on language acquisition, we'll take a look at some distinctions between languages and learn how babies come to understand and speak a language.
4. Linguistics: Language Development in Children
How does a baby's babble turn into intelligible speech? Are there underlining innate traits that drive language development in children? Or is it the social interaction with others that encourages language development? This lesson will explore these questions and discuss how aspects of language change over time.
5. Language Skills in Children: Development, Definition & Types
The development of language skills in young children is a multi-step process that is both fascinating and complex. Learn how language skills are formed, important milestones for language development and test your knowledge with quiz questions.
6. Language Learning in Infants and Toddlers
Language development is a long process, and there are many types of speech that babies take part in. This lesson explores language development and some key types of speech, including child-directed speech, syncretic speech, and telegraphic speech.
7. Stages of Language Development: Pre-Linguistic and Symbolic Language
How does language expression emerge in children? Learn about the development of syntax in children through the pre-linguistic and linguistic stages of language development in this lesson.
8. The Effects of Environment and Culture on Language Development
Both environmental and cultural factors have an impact on early language development. This lesson will provide examples to consider and discuss possible reasons for this impact.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Reading Specialist (092): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Emergent Language
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Literature-Based Language Instruction
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Literary Genres
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Grammar Basics
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Figurative Language
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Strategies for Descriptive Writing
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Promoting Literacy
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Teaching Study Strategies
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Foundations of Reading Instruction
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Developing Reading Comprehension
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Supporting Vocabulary Development
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Oral Communication
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Communication in the Classroom
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Teaching Strategies for Writing
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Written Communication
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Types of Assessments
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Assessment Techniques
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Data Analysis for Assessments
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Reading Issues & Disabilities
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Instruction for Diverse Students
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Partnerships in Instruction
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Professional Skills & Development
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Legal Issues in Education
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Planning Curriculum
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Literacy Research
- MTTC Reading Specialist Flashcards