About This Chapter
MTTC Reading Specialist: Literary Genres - Chapter Summary
This chapter will help you prepare for questions on the MTTC Reading Specialist exam about the different literary genres. Watch this series of short, engaging and mobile-device-friendly lesson videos to follow along with our expert instructors as they explain:
- Literary fiction and the types of fiction
- Characteristics of short stories
- Literary forms of non-fiction
- Differences between fables, folktales, myths and legends
- Time periods and styles of drama
- Characteristics of the mystery genre
- Modern fantasy and epic poetry
- Characteristics of tragedy and comedy
For an additional review of the material in this chapter, read the lesson transcripts that present written overviews of the lessons and identify the key terms. If you have questions about the topics of this chapter, send them to our instructors for clarification. After each lesson be sure to take the lesson quiz to test your understanding of the material. If you find topics you haven't mastered, use the video tags to find the respective segments for more review.
1. Literary Genres: Definition, Types, Characteristics & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn what is meant by the term genre. In addition, the main types of literary genres will be described, with examples given for each.
2. Literary Fiction: Definition & Examples
Literary fiction is fiction that has value and merit in the social world. Learn about what makes fiction 'literary' through descriptions and famous examples.
3. Types of Fiction: Novels, Novellas & Short Stories
Learn how fiction is organized by length into three categories: novels, novellas and short stories. Explore the general characteristics of each type, and learn about some famous examples.
4. Short Stories: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
We've all read short stories, such as 'A Country Doctor' by Franz Kafka or Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Tell-Tale Heart.' In this lesson, you'll learn more about the characteristics of the short story and explore some noteworthy examples by American and European writers.
5. Non-Fiction as Literary Form: Definition and Examples
Although non-fiction might seem fairly straightforward, there are quite a few different genres within non-fiction that are easy to confuse. With this in mind, we'll consider the similarities and differences between biographies, autobiographies and memoirs, essays, and journalism.
6. The Fable, Folktale, Myth, Legend: Differences and Examples
In this lesson, learn about fables, folktales, myths and legends, stories that entertain and serve instructive or educational purposes. Discover how these types of stories differ from one another and about their prevalence throughout the world.
7. What is Drama? - Terms, Time Periods and Styles
Ever wonder why we use the word 'drama' when referencing people who overreact to a situation? Discover the definition of drama, its different styles, and why your friends might belong on the stage in this overview of the dramatic genre.
8. Mystery Genre: Definition, Characteristics & Elements
In this lesson, we'll define the mystery genre of detective writing and examine some of the characteristics and elements that make this genre unique, such as the use of dramatic tension.
9. What is Modern Fantasy Literature? - Definition, Authors & Novels
Wizards, werewolves, and all manner of wondrous places wait for you in this lesson! Come discover modern fantasy literature and meet some of the authors and their works that have made the genre what it is today.
10. Epic Poetry: Definition, Heroes & Stories
Learn about epic poetry in the ancient world. Explore two epic poems, ''Gilgamesh'' and ''The Iliad'' and discover the information these poems contain about the cultures that created them.
11. Tragedy in Literature: Definition, Characteristics & Examples
In this lesson, you will focus on the literary tragedy, its characteristics, and how it moves the reader. You'll also examine some examples of tragedies, both ancient and modern.
12. Comedy Genre: Definition & Characteristics
Comedies are designed to make us laugh - sometimes even until we cry - but what actually defines a 'comedy'? Get a quick reminder in this lesson, where you'll learn the definition and take a closer look at the characteristics of this hilarious literary genre!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Reading Specialist (092): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Language Development
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Emergent Language
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Literature-Based Language Instruction
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Grammar Basics
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Figurative Language
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Strategies for Descriptive Writing
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Promoting Literacy
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Teaching Study Strategies
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Foundations of Reading Instruction
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Developing Reading Comprehension
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Supporting Vocabulary Development
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Oral Communication
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Communication in the Classroom
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Teaching Strategies for Writing
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Written Communication
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Types of Assessments
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Assessment Techniques
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Data Analysis for Assessments
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Reading Issues & Disabilities
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Instruction for Diverse Students
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Partnerships in Instruction
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Professional Skills & Development
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Legal Issues in Education
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Planning Curriculum
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Literacy Research
- MTTC Reading Specialist Flashcards