About This Chapter
MTTC Reading Specialist: Spelling & Punctuation - Chapter Summary
These lessons will ensure that you have a good grasp of spelling strategies and punctuation marks. You'll leave the chapter well-prepared for any MTTC Reading Specialist questions on:
- Components of spelling development
- Homophones and homographs
- Using commas correctly
- Semicolons and colons
- Uses of parentheses and dashes
- Uses of hyphens, ellipses and brackets
Review the chapter's short videos, running roughly five minutes apiece, from your computer, smartphone or any other web-enabled handheld device. Every lesson is accompanied by a practice quiz to confirm your understanding of the key concepts.
MTTC Reading Specialist: Spelling & Punctuation Chapter Objectives
The MTTC Reading Specialist test establishes whether you meet criteria for teacher certification as a reading specialist. Content on mechanics, including punctuation and spelling, corresponds to the test's Genres and Craft of Literature and Language subarea. Consisting of multiple-choice questions, this subarea accounts for approximately 14% of your test score.
1. The Spelling Development Process
The process of learning to spell can often be complicated and frustrating for students. With the right method of instruction and a solid understanding of the relationship between spelling and reading, spelling can be a breeze. Read on for details.
2. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
3. Spelling: Words That Sound Alike (Homonyms & Homophones)
Watch this lesson to learn to differentiate between words that sound alike but may be spelled differently. We'll specifically look at homonyms, homographs, and homophones.
4. Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules
Think that you know commas? You may be surprised. Even the most experienced writers have problems remembering all the rules. Learn the basics of comma usage in this first of two lessons on the comma.
5. Comma Usage: Avoid Confusion in Clauses & Contrasting Sentence Parts
Learn more about comma usage from the pros! There are just too many ways to use the comma (it's a basic punctuation mark, after all) to fit in one sentence. Watch here to learn about some of the more common traps students fall into when trying to put commas in the right place.
6. Punctuation: Using Colons, Semicolons & Periods
Periods, colons, and semicolons all have the ability to stop a sentence in its tracks, but for very different purposes. In this lesson, learn how and why we use them in our writing.
7. Parentheses and Dashes: Correct Usage
Parentheses and dashes are two different (but often confused) ways of setting off a chunk of information within a sentence - do you know how to use them correctly?
8. Using Hyphens, Brackets, Ellipses & Quotation Marks
Writing not only consists of letters and words but many forms of punctuation. Watch this video lesson to learn about four types of punctuation: hyphens, brackets, ellipses, and quotation marks.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Reading Specialist (092): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Language Development
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Emergent Language
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Literature-Based Language Instruction
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Literary Genres
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Grammar Basics
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Figurative Language
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Strategies for Descriptive Writing
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Promoting Literacy
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Teaching Study Strategies
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Foundations of Reading Instruction
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Developing Reading Comprehension
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Supporting Vocabulary Development
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Oral Communication
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Communication in the Classroom
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Teaching Strategies for Writing
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Written Communication
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Types of Assessments
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Assessment Techniques
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Data Analysis for Assessments
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Reading Issues & Disabilities
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Instruction for Diverse Students
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Partnerships in Instruction
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Professional Skills & Development
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Legal Issues in Education
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Planning Curriculum
- MTTC Reading Specialist: Literacy Research
- MTTC Reading Specialist Flashcards