About This Chapter
MTTC Reading: Spelling & Punctuation - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons and assessments of this chapter to prepare for questions on the MTTC Reading exam about strategies that can be used to insure correct spelling in writing and proper punctuation usage. Watch these lesson videos to follow along with our expert instructors as they explain:
- Strategies and tips for correct spelling in writing
- Common homonyms and homophones
- Comma usage
- Uses of colons, semicolons and periods
- Parentheses and dashes
- Hyphens, brackets, ellipses and quotations marks
After these lessons take the quizzes that accompany them to test your comprehension of the information presented. Use the results from these quizzes to find topics you haven't mastered, then use video tags to return to the locations of the lessons that explained these topics to strengthen your understanding of them.
1. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
2. Spelling: Words That Sound Alike (Homonyms & Homophones)
Watch this lesson to learn to differentiate between words that sound alike but may be spelled differently. We'll specifically look at homonyms, homographs, and homophones.
3. Commas: Correct Usage & Basic Rules
Think that you know commas? You may be surprised. Even the most experienced writers have problems remembering all the rules. Learn the basics of comma usage in this first of two lessons on the comma.
4. Comma Usage: Avoid Confusion in Clauses & Contrasting Sentence Parts
Learn more about comma usage from the pros! There are just too many ways to use the comma (it's a basic punctuation mark, after all) to fit in one sentence. Watch here to learn about some of the more common traps students fall into when trying to put commas in the right place.
5. Punctuation: Using Colons, Semicolons & Periods
Periods, colons, and semicolons all have the ability to stop a sentence in its tracks, but for very different purposes. In this lesson, learn how and why we use them in our writing.
6. Parentheses and Dashes: Correct Usage
Parentheses and dashes are two different (but often confused) ways of setting off a chunk of information within a sentence - do you know how to use them correctly?
7. Using Hyphens, Brackets, Ellipses & Quotation Marks
Writing not only consists of letters and words but many forms of punctuation. Watch this video lesson to learn about four types of punctuation: hyphens, brackets, ellipses, and quotation marks.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Reading (05): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Reading: The Reading Process
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Language Arts
- MTTC Reading: Learning Theories
- MTTC Reading: Factors Affecting Student Learning
- MTTC Reading: Language Development
- MTTC Reading: Emergent Literacy
- MTTC Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics
- MTTC Reading: Uses of Language
- MTTC Reading: Understanding Literature
- MTTC Reading: Using Literary Texts
- MTTC Reading: Developing & Promoting Literacy
- MTTC Reading: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- MTTC Reading: Promoting Study Strategies
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Comprehension
- MTTC Reading: Speaking & Listening Skills
- MTTC Reading: Oral Communication in the Classroom
- MTTC Reading: Promoting Written Communication
- MTTC Reading: Grammar
- MTTC Reading: Writing Skills
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Vocabulary Skills
- MTTC Reading: Planning Reading Curriculum
- MTTC Reading: Assessment Uses & Data
- MTTC Reading: Reading Assessments
- MTTC Reading: Using Reading Assessment Data
- MTTC Reading: Readers with Special Needs
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Readers with Special Needs
- MTTC Reading: Role & Function of Reading Professionals
- MTTC Reading Flashcards