About This Chapter
MTTC Reading: Understanding Literature - Chapter Summary
When studying for the MTTC Reading exam, watch the lesson videos of this chapter to review elements of literary forms and genres. This series of short, engaging lesson videos gets you ready for any test questions about:
- How literary forms and genres affect meaning
- Themes and history of children's literature
- Kinds of traditional literature
- Kinds of non-fiction
- Uses of literary motifs
- Prose and poetry
Watch these lessons on your mobile devices or computer, then test your understanding of the information covered in them by taking the accompanying lesson quizzes. Use the video tags to find any portions of the video lessons that you want to look at again.
1. Literary Forms & Genres: How They Affect Meaning
In this lesson, we will explore literary forms and genres. We'll define these terms, look at examples of each, and see how they affect the meaning of the texts they characterize.
2. What is Children's Literature? - History, Themes & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about children's literature, the only genre defined by its audience, through a discussion of its history and themes, while also taking at look at some representative examples.
3. Traditional Literature: Definition, Characters, Types & Books
Learn what makes traditional literature such an influential part of our culture. This lesson will break down its definition, purpose, and popular examples.
4. Non-Fiction as Literary Form: Definition and Examples
Although non-fiction might seem fairly straightforward, there are quite a few different genres within non-fiction that are easy to confuse. With this in mind, we'll consider the similarities and differences between biographies, autobiographies and memoirs, essays, and journalism.
5. What Are Literary Motifs? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about how writers use themes in works of literature as a way to explore universal ideas like love and war. You will also explore motifs, or repeating objects and ideas, which can contribute to theme.
6. Glossary of Literary Terms: Prose
The study of literature is a broad, diverse field. However, there's some general knowledge you should have before you dive in. Check out these terms to get a handle on the basics of prose study.
7. Glossary of Literary Terms: Poetry
Before you start your study of poetry, you'll want to have these technical, literary and genre terms at your disposal. Read on to learn the basics of analyzing poetry!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the MTTC Reading (05): Practice & Study Guide course
- MTTC Reading: The Reading Process
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Language Arts
- MTTC Reading: Learning Theories
- MTTC Reading: Factors Affecting Student Learning
- MTTC Reading: Language Development
- MTTC Reading: Emergent Literacy
- MTTC Reading: Phonology, Phonemes & Phonics
- MTTC Reading: Uses of Language
- MTTC Reading: Using Literary Texts
- MTTC Reading: Developing & Promoting Literacy
- MTTC Reading: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- MTTC Reading: Promoting Study Strategies
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Comprehension
- MTTC Reading: Speaking & Listening Skills
- MTTC Reading: Oral Communication in the Classroom
- MTTC Reading: Promoting Written Communication
- MTTC Reading: Grammar
- MTTC Reading: Spelling & Punctuation
- MTTC Reading: Writing Skills
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Vocabulary Skills
- MTTC Reading: Planning Reading Curriculum
- MTTC Reading: Assessment Uses & Data
- MTTC Reading: Reading Assessments
- MTTC Reading: Using Reading Assessment Data
- MTTC Reading: Readers with Special Needs
- MTTC Reading: Teaching Readers with Special Needs
- MTTC Reading: Role & Function of Reading Professionals
- MTTC Reading Flashcards