About This Chapter
Multiculturalism & Cultural Relativism - Chapter Summary
Our chapter on multiculturalism and cultural relativism contains lessons and quizzes to reinforce these concepts. Here you'll study society and culture and the criticisms of multiculturalism. Feel free to study any time you'd like on your mobile phone, computer or tablet. Each lesson is coupled with a short self-assessment quiz to help you ensure you've understood what you've learned and that you're ready to move on. Submit any questions you have through the Dashboard, and one of our helpful instructors will answer them. You should be able to complete the following once you finish this chapter:
- Differentiate between culture and society
- Define multiculturalism in sociology and its criticisms
- Discuss the argument associated with cultural relativism in sociology
1. Understanding the Difference Between Society & Culture
This lesson will seek to explain the difference between society and culture. In doing so, it will also highlight the concept of norms and what role they play in both society and culture.
2. Multiculturalism in Sociology: Definition, Examples & Criticism
People within a society view multiculturalism in many different ways. This lesson looks at the concept of multiculturalism in how it is defined, the examples prevalent in society, and how it is viewed by critics of the process.
3. Cultural Relativism in Sociology: Definition, Argument & Examples
In Bolivia, 14-year-old girls can legally get married. In China, men have to wait until they're 22. Why is there such a variance in what's acceptable and what's not? Cultural relativism explains why one society shouldn't try to impose its own beliefs onto another.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Psychology 303: Psychology of Diversity course
- Social Identity & Categorization Theories
- Understanding Diversity in Psychology
- The Psychological Study of Diversity
- Psychology of Diversity Theories & Research
- Psychological Perspectives of Human Behavior
- Understanding Racism & Discrimination
- Understanding of Stereotypes & Biases
- Fundamentals of Cultural Research in Psychology
- Bias, Cultural Competence & Awareness
- Psychology Research Methods & Tools
- Required Assignments for Psychology 303