About This Chapter
Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing - Chapter Summary
What is palliative care? How are the dying cared for? What types of environmental toxicants can cause illness? These are just some of the topics you will explore when you refer to the video and text lessons in this chapter.
You will learn more about specific conditions and their symptoms, causes and treatments. Once you have completed your review of this chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- Describe requirements and risks of bariatric surgery
- Define comorbidity and explain why it occurs in transplant patients
- Discuss palliative care and the roles of caregivers for dying patients
- List members of the orthomyxoviridae virus family
- Provide details about antibiotic-resistant bacteria and pain relief methods
- Identify symptoms of rhabdomyolysis and sensory overload
- Name disorders associated with thermoregulation
- Discuss types of environmental toxicants and details of drug toxicity
Lessons are conveniently accessible 24/7 from any device, so you can choose to study wherever and whenever it best fits your schedule. Track your progress through the chapter using your Dashboard and contact instructors with any lesson-specific questions using a short online form. Self-assessment quizzes measure your understanding and help you identify any topic you might need to further review.
1. What is Bariatric Surgery? - Definition, Types, Requirements & Risks
Bariatric surgery is a medical term used for the various surgical procedures used to promote weight loss. In this lesson, we will explore what bariatric surgery is, the requirements to qualify for bariatric surgery, the different types of bariatric surgery and the risks associated with this type of surgery.
2. Comorbidity in Transplant Patients
In this lesson you will learn about comorbidities associated with solid organ transplantation. You will become familiar with common infections and malignancies that often occur after transplantation takes place.
3. Caring for the Dying: Caregiver Roles & Respite Services
This lesson looks at the role caregivers can play in improving the quality of life of a person who is dying. We will also explore the needs and choices of the person who is in the final stages of their life.
4. What is Palliative Care?
Imagine someone faced with a horrendous illness, and the impact it might have on them and their entire family. When such a serious disorder arises, palliative care may be given. Find out what this is and what issues it addresses.
5. Significant Antibiotic-Resistant Bacteria: Terminology
In this lesson, we will look at the most significant of the antibiotic-resistant bacteria. The diseases that they cause and the specific antibiotics that they are resistant to will be discussed.
6. The Orthomyxoviridae Virus Family: Influenza, Flu Shots, and More
When it's cold season, you'd be smart to get a flu shot. This lesson will delve into influenza pandemics, epidemics, the bird flu, the swine flu, hemagglutinin, neuraminidase, and much more as we explore the members of the Orthomyxoviridae virus family.
7. Multi-Organ Dysfunction Syndrome: Causes, Diagnosis & Management
Multi-organ dysfunction syndrome is a secondary condition in which the function of two or more organs is severely affected. Read this lesson to learn all about the causes, diagnosis, and management of multi-organ dysfunction syndrome.
8. Rhabdomyolysis: Symptoms & Treatment
Rhabdomyolysis is a condition in which the myoglobin protein is released from damaged muscle tissue. Read this lesson to learn how rhabdomyolysis is caused, some of the common conditions of the condition, and the likely course of treatment.
9. Patient Pain Relief: Methods & Monitoring for Nurses
Pain affects a person in many different ways so it's important in healthcare to provide good pain relief. In this lesson, we will learn how to manage and monitor patient pain.
10. Sleep Disorders: Types & Causes
Sleep is essential for mental and physical health. But what happens when there's a problem with your sleep? In this lesson, we'll examine some common sleep disorders, including insomnia, narcolepsy, sleep apnea, and parasomnia.
11. Sensory Overload: Definition & Symptoms
Some people are sensitive to the effects of experiencing more sensory information than they are able to process at any given time. A definition and symptoms of sensory overload are provided in this lesson, as is a quiz to assess your understanding of the topic.
12. Thermoregulation: Definition & Disorders
What is thermoregulation? What happens when the body loses its ability to regulate temperature properly? Read this lesson to learn the answers to these questions and more.
13. Environmental Toxicants: Types, Sources & Effects
In this video lesson, you will identify different types of environmental toxicants. You will also learn about the harmful effects of these toxicants and how they travel from various sources.
14. Drug Toxicity: Effective & Lethal Dose-Response
In this lesson, you're going to learn about several important topics related to drug toxicity: the lethal dose 50, the effective dose 50, and the therapeutic index (margin of safety).
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing