About This Chapter
Muscle Dysfunction in the Head, Neck & Shoulders - Chapter Summary
We've provided informative lessons on muscle dysfunction in the neck, head and shoulders in this helpful and easy-to-follow chapter. Our lessons outline the causes of tonic tensor tympani syndrome, the symptoms of omohyoid syndrome, the recovery time needed after a rotator cuff injury, plus much more. You can work as quickly or as slowly as you need with our lessons, going back to review the information as many times as required for mastery. There's also a short quiz with each lesson to help you check you've understood what you've learned. After you've completed this chapter, you should be able to achieve the following goals:
- Outline the treatment for stapedial myoclonus
- Explain some of the symptoms of auricular chondritis
- Discuss what causes levator scapulae syndrome
- Detail how splenius capitis syndrome is treated
- Identify some of the common symptoms of sternocleidomastoid syndrome
- Define thoracic outlet syndrome and its diagnosis
- Describe deltoid muscle atrophy and its causes
- Provide a definition of supraspinatus tendinosis and its treatment
- Outline subacromial impingement and what causes it
1. Tonic Tensor Tympani Syndrome: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Tonic tensor tympani syndrome is a condition related to anxiety that can drastically affect a person's ability to hear. Continue reading to learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatment for tonic tensor tympani syndrome.
2. Stapedial Myoclonus: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
Stapedial Myoclonus is a condition that happens in the middle ear and is often difficult to diagnose. This lesson will discuss the definition, symptoms, and treatment of stapedial myoclonus.
3. Auricular Chondritis: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
Have you ever had a sore ear? In this lesson, we will learn what auricular chondritis is. We will learn what symptoms are associated with it and how to treat it.
4. Levator Scapulae Syndrome: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
The levator scapulae is a muscle located in the neck that can often become irritated and inflamed, resulting in levator scapulae syndrome. This lesson will teach you all about this syndrome, including its causes, symptoms, and treatments.
5. Omohyoid Syndrome: Symptoms & Treatment
The omohyoid muscle is a very important muscle of the neck that can oftentimes get irritated and damaged, leading the omohyoid syndrome. Be sure to check out this lesson to learn all about omohyoid syndrome, including its symptoms and treatment.
6. Splenius Capitis Syndrome: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Splenius capitis syndrome is a condition that can cause severe pain that radiates to multiple parts of the body. Continue reading to learn more about splenius capitis syndrome, including its causes, symptoms, and treatment.
7. Sternocleidomastoid Syndrome: Symptoms & Treatment
The sternocleidomastoid is a long muscle of the neck that can become irritated, leading to a condition called sternocleidomastoid syndrome. Be sure to watch this lesson to learn about this syndrome, including the symptoms and treatments.
8. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome: Definition, Causes & Types
This lesson will describe thoracic outlet syndrome, which is a condition that affects the nerves and/or blood vessels in the thoracic outlet, or the area between the lower neck and upper chest.
9. Thoracic Outlet Syndrome: Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment
In this lesson, you will learn about Thoracic Outlet Syndrome, a collection of symptoms that result from compression, or squeezing, in the narrow space between the collarbone and the first rib. We will describe the varied symptoms and their causes, how the syndrome is diagnosed, and how it is treated, through both non-surgical and surgical measures.
10. Deltoid Muscle Atrophy: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
The deltoid muscle is in your shoulder. In this lesson, we will learn what happens when that muscle has atrophy. We will learn what causes it, what the symptoms are, and what treatment is available.
11. Rotator Cuff Injury: Symptoms, Treatment & Recovery Time
A rotator cuff injury is a common ailment of the shoulder. In this lesson, you will learn the symptoms, treatment, and recovery time for a rotator cuff injury.
12. Supraspinatus Tendinosis: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
Supraspinatus tendinosis is a common source of shoulder pain in athletes and older adults. Symptoms range from mild discomfort to complete loss of function. Treatment consists of NSAIDs, physical therapy and occasionally arthroscopic surgery.
13. Subacromial Impingement: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
A subacromial impingement is a common shoulder injury for many athletes. Read this lesson to learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatments of a subacromial impingement, as well as which athletes are most likely to suffer this injury.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Muscles of the Body for Health Professionals course
- Muscles of the Head
- Muscles of the Mouth
- Muscles of the Tongue
- Muscles of the Neck
- Muscles of the Shoulder
- Muscles of the Chest
- Muscles of the Abdomen
- Iliac Region Muscles
- Muscles of the Upper Arm
- Muscles of the Forearm
- Muscles of the Hand
- Muscles of the Back
- Muscles of the Pelvis
- Gluteal Muscles
- Muscles of the Thigh
- Muscles of the Leg
- Muscles of the Foot
- Tendonitis & Muscle Tears