About This Chapter
Musculoskeletal Disorders & Nursing Actions - Chapter Summary
This chapter examines nursing actions related to musculoskeletal disorders and infections. Our expert instructors define the causes, symptoms and treatments of several disorders, and you'll take a look at concepts like progressive mobility protocols, gait analysis and body mobility responses. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the causes, symptoms and treatment of various musculoskeletal infections
- Evaluate body mobility complications
- Explain the ways in which age affects mobility
- Recognize types of gait abnormalities
- Assess nursing protocols for progressive mobility
Following each lesson is an interactive quiz that covers important medical terms and nursing actions. The chapter is available any time, and its online format allows you to study whenever you have free time in your schedule. Revisit the lessons and quizzes as many times as needed, and reach out to our instructors if you have any questions.
1. Musculoskeletal Infections: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Jason woke-up with knee pain. It looked a little red and swollen, and it felt worse than usual after an evening of basketball. What's happening? In this lesson, we will discuss several of the most common musculoskeletal infections.
2. How Mobility Affects the Body: Responses & Complications
We are going to learn about what mobility is and the good effects it has on the body. We will also go over what can happen in the body if mobility stops.
3. The Impact of Age on Mobility: Examples & Overview
This lesson examines the physical changes that occur to the mechanical body as we age. Specific regards are given to what decreases mobility, and why.
4. What Is Gait? - Definition, Types, Analysis & Abnormalities
By the end of this lesson, students will be better able to define what gait is and how gait is analyzed by medical professionals. They'll also be able to describe four different types of abnormal gait and link gait abnormalities to physiologic dysfunction.
5. Progressive Mobility: Nursing Protocols & Patient Management
In this lesson, you will learn about the nursing definition of progressive mobility, situations in which patients may require progressive mobility, its barriers, and how to manage adult patients during this treatment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN CCRN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Patient Assessment & Diagnostics
- Medication Management for Nursing
- Nursing Procedures & Emergency Response
- Acute Coronary Syndromes & Cardiovascular Emergencies
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Understanding Heart Disease & Failure
- Understanding Defects & Disorders of the Heart
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Thoracic Injury & Trauma
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions & Tools for Pulmonary Procedures
- Understanding Endocrine Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Disorders
- Hematology & Immunology Nursing Actions
- Understanding Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Nursing Actions
- Understanding Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Problems
- Understanding Integumentary Disorders
- Integumentary Nursing Actions
- Understanding Neurological Disorders
- Understanding Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Neurological Nursing Actions
- Understanding Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders for Nurses
- Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments in Nursing
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Healthcare-Associated Infections
- Sedation Nursing Actions
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing